The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senate Bill 431, which would modernize the Pennsylvania Antlerless License system, passed the state Senate yesterday, was passed out out of the state House Fish & Game Committee today and now heads to the full the House of Representatives for consideration. With your help we can get this legislation passed and say goodbye to the pink envelopes.

Contact your state representative today and ask them to support SB 431.

Please also make a phone call to your state representative's office. Phone calls carry a lot of weight. Click Here to find your state representative's contact information, including phone numbers.

The current mail-in system is an antiquated process that dates to when county lines were boundaries for hunting activities. Despite the changes to our wildlife management boundaries, we have continued to use this process that involves a complicated paper application, two pink envelopes, and a check or money order, which must all be mailed to one of 67 county treasurers by a certain date. Hunters may have to do this several times a season if they seek more than one antlerless tag. This is a process rife with opportunity for mistakes and delays and causes significant frustration among our state’s deer hunters.

Senate Bill 431 will improve access for all to antlerless deer licenses by allowing for simple online application and remove the burden of the antiquated mail-in application system. More importantly, the burdensome mail-in system may be a barrier to hunting for new people just starting out in the sport and to Pennsylvania hunters living elsewhere, such as college students and those serving in the military. At a time when just about everyone in the hunting universe is working to attract new folks to the pursuit, roadblocks like the current antiquated antlerless license mail in system simply must go.

This modernization of the antlerless licensing system will help ensure no hunters are excluded from acquiring their antlerless license in a timely manner.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission, which will be responsible for administering the licenses, has come out in full support of the proposed legislation.

Please join us in urging lawmakers to make this needed change!

Sincerely,

Board of Directors

Pennsylvania Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Not opposed to a new system but I don’t want to buy a pig in s poke. How’s it going to work? Will it be better than the goofed up system they have now?
They’re not going to give every detail on a replacement/alternative process until and unless they get the legislative green light. No matter what process is proposed, it’s going to start arguments/complaints/uproar from one segment or another…. no point in starting those inevitable kerfluffles before a vote even takes place.

·
Super Moderator
15,274 Posts
I love this statement.
A true reflection of how change-phobic and myopic most PA hunters seem to be.
Nope, he was just applying good ole logic. Something that seems to be very seriously lacking within a great deal of today's society. The old times, those who had the wisdom of experience, always said you were pretty foolish when you were willing to "buy a pig in a poke." A pig in a poke is what they trying to sell with SB 431.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I love this statement.
A true reflection of how change-phobic and myopic most PA hunters seem to be.
lol….what is really laughable is the whole sales pitch on how “ complicated and burdensome “ the mail in process is !!!!
so typical of today’s snowflake woke society who can’t handle anything that doesn’t involve their phone! And Boy what about those poor new hunters…how in the world are they ever going to figure this complicated and burdensome process. This will probably trigger some horrible reaction and they will need therapy and meds for years to come !
Or reassignment surgery!
A true reflection on how far we have fallen when this is complicated and burdensome !

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Nope, he was just applying good ole logic. Something that seems to be very seriously lacking within a great deal of today's society. The old times, those who had the wisdom of experience, always said you were pretty foolish when you were willing to "buy a pig in a poke." A pig in a poke is what they trying to sell with SB 431.

Dick Bodenhorn
Reducto ad absurdem.

There's been plenty of comments to indicate the direction things would go if the PGC were allowed to have other agents issue the tags.
Good ole logic, eh? There's no logic in any of the objections you've posted on the topic since I've joined. None. Just hyperbole, false-premises and fear of change.

Last time I checked, the Bill isn't selling a pig in a poke, it's giving the PGC options... just like the Bill that ok'd semi-auto rifles... or Sunday Hunting..

Fear of the unknown runs so deep in this state it's a wonder we're not all Amish.

lol….what is really laughable is the whole sales pitch on how “ complicated and burdensome “ the mail in process is !!!!
so typical of today’s snowflake woke society who can’t handle anything that doesn’t involve their phone! And Boy what about those poor new hunters…how in the world are they ever going to figure this complicated and burdensome process. This will probably trigger some horrible reaction and they will need therapy and meds for years to come !
Or reassignment surgery!
A true reflection on how far we have fallen when this is complicated and burdensome !
Have any comments on the issue that aren't insults to those supporting the Bill? You know, like a reason that it shouldn't happen or won't work?
Have any idea how much it would save the agency if the bill passes?

Nah, those set in their ways and afraid of change can't think past the end of their noses....

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
My wife, son and I have 25 doe tags between us. Last year, we had the same. There has never been a time since the late 70s that I didn’t get the doe tags I applied for. I’m at a loss at how changing the system is going to beneficial.
The PGC has a few hundred thousand reasons.....

1 - 20 of 255 Posts