The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I shot a 10 pt on the first day of rifle season in 2008, he wasn't a monster so I didn't want to spend a fortune. I took it to a taxidermist who appears to do good work for reasonable rates. Well here we are approaching the first day again and I don't have it back. He told me it would be done by the summer (08) but when it wasn't done by June I gave him benefit of the doubt and let it go. Finally I called the guy in August and asked him what was going on. He called me back and left a message that he had a problem with his eyes (he is diebetic) but he is perfectly fine now and it will be done soon. Well still haven't heard from him but I also have not had time to get on his case either. My question is if I call the guy and he says it is done come get it do you think I should still pay 100% of the remaining $150 I owe on it (I paid him half to do the work). I guess I am just asking opinons on this. I guess I just don't think it is fair that he probably expects 100% of the money but I had to wait an extra 6 months for the job.

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Yeah you still pay him the price you agreed on.Why would you think otherwise?The guy had a legit reason for the delay and truthfully most taxi's will tell you the wait is 12-18 months.I understand where you are coming from but I still think you need to pay full price,UNLESS he would tell you otherwise.JMHO.
Jim

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another 300 dollar deer guy. This is what happens when you shop for price. I'm not saying he will do bad work, but he can't afford to deer at those prices. He probably got more than he could handle and is fed up with not making any money.
Yes you should pay the entire amount you owe him.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Seems like when I take a car to the mechanic it often takes longer than they originally say it will. It happens.

It also seems like when a taxidermy project takes alot longer than I expected it to it's because I'm putting more time into it than I originally expected. Hopefully when it is completed you'll be able to enjoy it for a long time and it would have been worth the wait.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My current taxidermist takes about a year. He is not real cheap but does great work. He does mounts as a second business. Hopefully your guy is doing a better job since he is taking more time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
where in writing does it say what to charge for deer heads. doing a deer head for 300 makes a profit of over 150. 2 a day is a profit of 300. Guy down the road charges 600, worst deer i ever seen. it goes both ways

·
Registered
128 Posts
fremont said:
where in writing does it say what to charge for deer heads. doing a deer head for 300 makes a profit of over 150. 2 a day is a profit of 300. Guy down the road charges 600, worst deer i ever seen. it goes both ways
Your math is WAY OFF
It's not in writing, but if you knew how to run a business you would know that your math is wrong.
Lets see....What about paying light bill, heat, air, water, sewer, mortgage,taxes,insurance health and business ... and maybe yourself if there is anything left. Recheck your math.
I have a degree in business management and I can tell you your #'s don't add up.
At that price you would be making about 5 dollars an hour or less in most shops. That is why those cheap guys don't last long.
Go look at the work, ask for references then make decision on where to go. You may be willing to wait a little longer for a guy that does quality work. Yeah it may go both ways, but you do have the OPTION to shop around for both Price and Quality.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
BrianC said:
Another 300 dollar deer guy. This is what happens when you shop for price. I'm not saying he will do bad work, but he can't afford to deer at those prices. He probably got more than he could handle and is fed up with not making any money.
Yes you should pay the entire amount you owe him.
What are you charging for your deer heads? Just curious... I understand if you don't want to answer. Just wondering.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Some taxidermists believe that taxidermy items are luxury items and that we should be targeting people who drive hummers and cadillacs. If I did that I would have no customers. Some people are willing to work longer and harder than others to get there bills paid. Shop around, you can find good quality taxidermists with reasonable prices.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't care what kind of business you're in, but if you tell a customer a job will be done by a certain time then you better make sure it's done in time. In fact, the mount should have been done BEFORE the date quoted. That would be a sign of good service.

Seems like nowadays everybody's got an excuse as to why you have to wait on them. Whether it be the doctor, dentist, mechanic, cable company or whoever. What happened to the customers rights and expectations for what they are paying for?

I'd like to see what the taxidermist would say when he goes to pick up the mount and tells him he needs 6 months to come up with the other $150. He'd probably get cussed out.

I think the taxidermist should make concessions to this guy. If you can't do your job properly (regardless of price) you shouldn't be in that business.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What are you charging for your deer heads? Just curious... I understand if you don't want to answer. Just wondering.
I sent it in a PM. If anyone else wants to know you can ask through a PM. I have been scolded for advertising so I'm not sure if I should go there. LOL. I am a lot more though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AMEN. could not have said it any better. 90% of taxidermist are lazy. when your growing a business you don't start out at 500 a deer. good to see some people still work for a liven

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Sometimes things are beyond your control.I work on cars for a living.If a part is ordered and comes in boxed wrong is it my fault?If roads flood and the part is delayed is it my fault?No it is not and I will not discount anothers mistake.The man doing the mount had health problems.Cut him some slack.Sometimes an excuse is an honest reason.Don't automatically assume he is lying to buy time.The man needs paid for his work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
diablo666 said:
Sometimes things are beyond your control.I work on cars for a living.If a part is ordered and comes in boxed wrong is it my fault?If roads flood and the part is delayed is it my fault?No it is not and I will not discount anothers mistake.The man doing the mount had health problems.Cut him some slack.Sometimes an excuse is an honest reason.Don't automatically assume he is lying to buy time.The man needs paid for his work.
I agree that things happen that you can't control but I'm sure that you would have the decensy to call your customer and tell them about the delay and why it won't be done on time. You'd most likely keep them informed of your progress if you can't meet the deadline. I doubt you'd be delayed 6 months in getting someones car fixed either.

Seems like this guy is getting jerked around and the taxidermist does very little follow up to let him know when he can expect it done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts