The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard and saw a woodcock singing a couple weeks ago. It was 50 degrees that weekend. It has been back in the thirtys since. Sat was close to 40 degrees maybe was even been in the low 40s. I tookthe dog out saturday to the place I heard the one and nothing. Went to another spot where I got into a lot of them last year and nothing there either. I wouldnt think they would keep going north with it being cold.
Where do they go. The flights arent over yet are they? An insight would be helpful
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So my guess is that that was an early bird, and the majority of the woodcock havent made it up this way yet. Reading the migration thread they are finding alot in southern pa. I looked at weather in York and it has been close to 50 every day most of the month.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
They are here and have been for a few weeks. I have worked the dogs on a bunch the last two weeks but have pull off of them for the spring due to several reports of nesting. I am located in the mountains of Southern Pennsylvania and few areas in the state get worse weather than I do but they are still here and further north as well. Finding them is much like grouse at times. You find them sometimes very easy and sometimes it is a struggle to find them.

If we could figure that out, it would make hunting them a whole lot more fun and easy.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If we could figure that out, it would make hunting them a whole lot more fun and easy.

Granted, if we could figure that out it would make hunting them easier and more successful, but I'm not sure that making it easier would make it any more fun. Their unpredictability just makes me love the little buggers even more!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts