The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait!

I'll plant peas sometime this week.

Last years garden was the best I ever had so I'm really lookin forward to this years.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I built a raised bed and trans planted strawberries. I have a bag garden and am in the middle of renewing the mulch. When I am finished I'll post a photo. The bag method work great for rocky soil and almost no weeds. Pass two years with a bumper crop!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Tilled up my yard to start a new garden yesterday. Wasn't bad tilling the yard. It became difficult after I added a heaping truckload of leaf compost, and half a load of rabbit manure. Then went to till all that together. Too wet and kept plugging. But with a little bullwork of pushing like heck, stopping backing up, pulling crap out underneath, its all mixed.
Sure looks great, and now it can rest until I plant.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yep, my ground is too wet as well.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Be a little while before I could till it's too wet. Looking forward to it though! I ordered Ancho seed, Caballero seed, beet seed, and bean seed the other day and I'm still waiting on them to arrive. When do you guys start planting your seeds for transplants?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm all raised beds. Probably work in some compost this week and get the collards, broccoli, spinach etc. planted soon.

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I covered my garden with 2 inches of sand last fall because I wanted the soil to loosen up. Turned a shovel full over on Sunday, still far too wet. Hit a frozen patch down 5 inches as well. I normally can't till it until about the last week of March anyway. This year I'll plow it first, to help work the sand in.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Went and picked up some seeds today at Agway. Doesn't look like it will be tillable in the extended forecast. I wanted to go through mine again and then get peas and broccoli planted.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Tilling? Our ground is still frozen and covered with snow.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
hunnter said:
Tilling? Our ground is still frozen and covered with snow.
X2! They are calling for 6 inches of snow here today. Gardening season starts in the middle of May here in the mountains.

·
20,127 Posts
I got mine turned over on the 10th out in front of the big rain. I turn mine with a shovel for the exercise and its a decent sized garden. Takes about Three hours. It was a real pain because of all the yard waste I had on top. It was too deep this year. Because of that I am very happy I got it over so the worms have a chance to do their thing which doesn't take long to be honest. I'll be putting onions, garlic, and brocolli in in the next two weeks.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well....tilling was as far as I got. I didn't get to plant anything in it yet.

Since I tilled the garden it rained once and snowed twice.

Also, I've been busy helping the son with his first house.

On the up side, the property the son bought has alot of space for a larger garden. I can't wait to till it!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just got the snow peas in tonight. Got home from work around 5:30, quickly tilled everything up, and planted before dark. I didn't want to wait to dry again after the snow coming tomorrow. Wanted to get the pod peas and broccoli in but ran out of time. At least I'm started.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Got my peas and spring onions sets in last night. Hopefully will get the brassicas, onion plants, beets, and carrots in over the weekend.

PA Waterfowler

1 - 20 of 34 Posts