The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

tight stock

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Ackleyredmist 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye with the stainless barrel and laminated stock in 300 Win. Mag. I have tried 3 different boxes of ammo from 3 different manufacturers and the best group I can get at 100 yds. is about 2 inches. I have noticed that the stock seems to be very tight to the barrel especially on the right side. I tried the old trick of trying to slide a $1 bill down between the stock and barrel and I can't even get the bill in there. Do you think this could be the cause of my problem?

#2 ·
Possibly.
You need to take the stock off. Most stocks today have a "speed bump'. sort of a harmonic dampener that puts a point of bearing agains the stock/barrel. It is usually within 1-3 inches from the front of the stock. That pressure point is usually OK. If the stock is bearin agains the barrel in any other place, it could be the problem. a little light sanding can relieve it (then coat the sanded area with something that seals it agains moisture.

An old Ruger trick is to take a plastic credit card and cut a small rectangle to fit ounder the flat bottom of the receiver, then tighten it down in the stock. it will raise the barrel and give you a chance to see IF it will shoot better free floating. If so you can permanently get the barrel free floating.

the other thing to think of is, muzzle crowning. Just some thoughts.

#3 ·
I had a model 77 in 308 with a laminated stock several years ago that I traded because it wouldn't always fire my reloads. When I first got it it shot terrible groups at 50 yards. I finally got it to shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yard. The stock had a pressure point on the barrel at the near front of the forearm. It didn't contact the barrel in any other place. I would remove the stock and take a look to see if it's binding any place. You could also refer to one of the Ruger forums that may have the answer to your problem.

#4 ·
not trying to be rude or anything...but i see it a lot...

do you have much experience shooting a heavier recoiling round like the 300?? could you possibly be flinching or jerking the trigger??

do you have rifles that shoot better than this one?

is your rest good?

letting the barrel cool?

was it new or use?? if used it may need broken in..if used, it may be fouled up and need a real good cleaning...

just throwing some things out there before you start sanding on a stock..though it could be the issue or may not...

also, sometimes it takes a bit to find a good shooting factory load...different grain bullet, different load, etc make a difference...took me alot more than 3 to find one to shoot well in the mauser when i shot factory ammo...

#6 ·
Some good suggestions here. I have often floated barrels by wrapping coarse sandpaper around an old AAA battery (tape the ends) and rasp the wood out enough to slide a bill all the way down. Be sure to seal it afterward. I use ski top varnish. That bump may actually enhance accuracy. You can remove it and if it does not, try plastic shims. However, a tad of fiberglass at that point works well and can easily be removed.

#10 ·
well it sure doessent help having the bbl touch the stock.a few mins with sandpaper and a 5/8" wooden dowel rod will help.
mathewsshtr said:
I recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye with the stainless barrel and laminated stock in 300 Win. Mag. I have tried 3 different boxes of ammo from 3 different manufacturers and the best group I can get at 100 yds. is about 2 inches. I have noticed that the stock seems to be very tight to the barrel especially on the right side. I tried the old trick of trying to slide a $1 bill down between the stock and barrel and I can't even get the bill in there. Do you think this could be the cause of my problem?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.