The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 7yr old daughter out for a few hours today with no luck. As we are settling in for the night she just said to me "Dad you have a spider on your foot". Yep, tick. I gave myself the once over and didn't find any more.
She took her bath and I dried her hair. I found two in her scalp. My wife would kill me if I told her.
What's a good over the counter product to deter ticks? I don't want to do any mixing. I went through the tick thread but it became rather lengthy.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Go to Walmart and get some Repel

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Sorry Chet they don't have that anymore get the Sawyers

Sawyers

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Chet get some Sawyers spray with permethrin to treat the clothes. Your choice on what you want to place on her skin if that's what you mean. Pretty sure Hunters Gallery and Gander carries it.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
They seem to get worse every year in western Pa.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
Bad this year. I am currently on week one of a three week course of antibiotics as a precaution. Found a deer tick in me last weekend when I was out scouting. I think it was there one day before I found it and a rash had already developed.

Two doctors appts later, on Doxicycline.

Check yourself good every time in.

·
Registered
18,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MQ-1 said:
Chet get some Sawyers spray with permethrin to treat the clothes. Your choice on what you want to place on her skin if that's what you mean. Pretty sure Hunters Gallery and Gander carries it.
Thanks I'll check tomorrow.
Ticks seem to be getting worse every year. We had a hound come down with Lyme Disease last season, didn't think he was going to make it. Pulled through at the very end. My cousin had a hound die two seasons back from Lyme.
I know two individuals who contracted it as well.
I went picking berries on the mountain near my house one day last summer only to come home and find six ticks on me.

I'm just VERY concerned now that I'm taking my daughter afield.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ive been out more than a few times scouting this year and havent come out of the woods without atleast 3 on me.. i have a scar on my chest from where the tick buried himself.. definitely not a good year for em.. but dad gave me the sawyers as well for my clothes

·
Registered
196 Posts
Work in the woods and use Sawyers on my work clothes as well as my hunting clothes and have had good results in keeping the ticks off me. I would say any product that has .5% Permethrin (seems to be the effective percentage) will give good results. Keep an eye on that young lady for any signs of Lyme especially if the ticks you found were attached to her scalp.

·
Registered
43 Posts
dpms said:
Bad this year. I am currently on week one of a three week course of antibiotics as a precaution. Found a deer tick in me last weekend when I was out scouting. I think it was there one day before I found it and a rash had already developed.

True the Doxicyclene is very good heck of sideaffect though.Made me wan't to jump out of my skin in the Sunlight , had to cut grass at night with the lights on the tracter.

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
ARROWSNIPER said:
Made me wan't to jump out of my skin in the Sunlight , had to cut grass at night with the lights on the tracter.
I read that on the bottle. Haven't been out in it alot yet to see if I feel any effects.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
ARROWSNIPER said:
dpms said:

True the Doxicyclene is very good heck of sideaffect though.Made me wan't to jump out of my skin in the Sunlight , had to cut grass at night with the lights on the tracter.
Not sure how you had that side effect. The "photo-sensitivity" side effect is one where it will actually make your skin burn more easilly. If that's what you're describing then it makes sense, but You may have misunderstood the noted side effects and maybe had a psycho-semantic reaction to what you understood as a possible side effect? I am a nurse and give out Doxy A LOT every day to teenage boys to treat acne vulgaris (severe or cystic acne) I have also had to have a run of the stuff for embedded tick bites twice myself. The worst side effect for MOST folks I have seen is G.I upset, diarrhea and photosensitivity (easilly sun burning). Eat some yogurt with active cultures in it and it should help with the diarrhea as any antibiotic can kill off good bacteria in your gut and cause diarrhea. Good luck with your treatment!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts