The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the last of my cams and drip bags this AM. I figured I better get them in before the orange army commences the slaughter. When I was driving back I noticed not 1 but 2 ticks on my pants! I’m not an entomologist but I’m 99% sure they were deer ticks too. So the threat isn’t quite over for the winter yet.

Crazy they survived after a cold snap that had night time temps in the upper teens and we had about 1/4/- 1/2” of snow!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good link thanks! I never knew that ticks, depending on specie, become more active in colder weather.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In my area they're active well through rifle season. My Dad shot a buck 2 years ago that was covered in them.

Cold doesn't slow them down, but in my area they do seem to be most active during Oct-Dec and again in March-May

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
The worst tick infestation I ever came across was one morning shed hunting in negative temperatures. Probably february or march. We brushed hundreds and hundreds off us when going through golden rod fields.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I flicked two off me while sitting at the base of a tree waiting for my dad to get out of the woods last week... It was sub 30 degrees. I also thought a freeze killed them off until spring thaw.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was bit after turkey hunting this past May and was diagnosed with Lyme. I went through the antibiotic regimen and thankfully I haven’t had any symptoms since. I never even knew the ti was but until I developed a rash and started having stiff and painful joints and flu like symptoms...

It’s nothing to joke around about...

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
To heck with the deer smelling it before it dries, when I take my kids out, I give them a fresh coating of Sawyers on their pants, at least (all our outer clothes were treated earlier in the year) before we step foot in the woods. Most of the time it dries pretty quickly and the odor dissipates but I am more worried about them getting a tick bite than I am having them harvest their first deer.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Permethrin. Use it.
Thats what everyone said about glyphosate and we see how that turned out. I dont disagree that it is effective, but one should heed caution when using it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
How heavy do you spray? I sprayed my outer clothes. Boots.....have you sprayed your layers and inner clothes? Do you make them WET almost dripping or mist them or inbetween?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I noticed this year the ticks seemed worse than ever. For more than 20 years I've hunted across the road from home, walking through a neighbor's pasture to the woods. Literally I do not ever remember finding a tick while hunting there over the years. Other places, yes. This year, I would constantly find ticks on my clothing, all the way to Nov. 8th.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts

Thats what everyone said about glyphosate and we see how that turned out. I dont disagree that it is effective, but one should heed caution when using it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin
I know, I know, wikipedia....but the medical sites list the same info.
It is used in topical treatments in humans. It is not readily absorbed by the skin. Ingestion and inhalation are probably the two best ways to be exposed to it.

TBH, I fear DEET more than permethrin, but I hate skeeters, and they love me, so I still use DEET products all summer long!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
How heavy do you spray? I sprayed my outer clothes. Boots.....have you sprayed your layers and inner clothes? Do you make them WET almost dripping or mist them or inbetween?[/QUOTE

Heavier than mist but not dripping wet - I go to "damp"(maybe a bit over LOL) then allow to dry overnight. I just spray my outer layers - shirt, pants, socks, hats, gloves, face masks and as it cools down I'll spray my jackets. Make sure to get "water" based permathin (got to really read the fine print) "oil" based will never dry completely and will leave a "oil" residue that could clog "breathable" clothing and leave an odor.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
How heavy do you spray? I sprayed my outer clothes. Boots.....have you sprayed your layers and inner clothes? Do you make them WET almost dripping or mist them or inbetween?
I spray all my hunting clothes, except my base layer. I seldom wear a coat, I layer, usually with wool shirts and pants, number depends on activity and temperature. As the day warms I’ll remove layers as need, so my outer layer is always treated.
I spray the clothing until they are just damp, and let dry. I only do this once a year, unless I wash a garment 3 times , then I will reapply. I never spray my clothing while wearing except maybe with off if needed, which is seldom or during the summer when wearing jeans and light shirt.

·
Registered
18,786 Posts
I spray until damp then air dry. I do spray my boots. I also spray my base layer that I wear under my hunting pants in case any ticks find their way up under my pants. I hit the cuff areas a bit more.

I also lightly mist my pants once a week just as insurance.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Spring and fall is when we always get them, cold doesn't matter much.

Beaver county is always terrible. Not sure why but I always get more when we are there than anyplace else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts