The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to someone today, heard Coyotes would have a lot of Ticks on them now. Is it better to wait until November when they aren't so bad? Hate them little Critters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you catch early canines covered in fleas and ticks....spray the inside of a garbage bag with tick/flea killer spray from a hardware store and make sure you trap the fumes... Bring bag up over hanging animal and twist tie it shut. Give it about 30 minutes and shake off dead ticks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
brush them out good when u take them home before skinning. simple dog brush with remove chiggers and burs and most creepy crawlies.

·
Registered
626 Posts
how long will stuff like that stay on a dead host? im talking lice fleas ticks etc.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've noticed when it's cold that if I throw a critter outside the shed in the morning and skin it after I get home from work I have less cucarachas to deal with.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ticks I can prevent that with spray. Lice, making my skin crawl. Is it better to wait until November when it's colder? I probably sound pretty wimpy now.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
If cold weather killed them off they would have gone extinct last year. They are going to be present no matter when you catch your critters.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what's the chance of the lice getting on you. Can you prevent it? I have gutted many animals, probably were on them. I think I just answered my own question. Gloves?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Smtn10pt said:
If cold weather killed them off they would have gone extinct last year. They are going to be present no matter when you catch your critters.
Exactly! I killed a couple of deer during rifle season in cold and snow and they were full of ticks. No different with furbearers, I even caught a mink in a bottom edge set under the ice with a tick lodged in it's neck. Like was stated earlier, a garbage bag sprayed with flea and tick killer. I like a burlap bag lined inside a garbage bag.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, would wearing bug spray at the trap site once you catch an animal contaminate that site for future catches?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
There is Another posting that Fairchild #17 had done in 1 of the Forums last year for Spring Gobbler season, but I can not find that 1!

Maybe Fairchild #17 has a link to it??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts