The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running the hounds since the weather broke ,the ticks are terrible anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I ran my bird dogs in northern Clinton on Friday. Saw none on either of them but did pick one off my own pants. Noah would have done us all a favor if he'd thrown at least one of them little devils off the boat!! I hate em' with a passion.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Started showing up here in western Erie county last week.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What a shame! I was hoping the extended cold this year would kill a lot of them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So much for " we need a hard winter to kill these bugs". They are bad already. I'm sorry but something needs to be done. When you can't take the family out in the woods for an hour without pulling ticks off of everyone it's time to do something about it

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
BenelliSBE said:
So much for " we need a hard winter to kill these bugs". They are bad already. I'm sorry but something needs to be done. When you can't take the family out in the woods for an hour without pulling ticks off of everyone it's time to do something about it
How do you suggest we kill them? I guess a wild population of guinea fowl would work, but that would just increase coyote/fox/hawk/etc numbers. The things are relentless.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
noticed the same on my walker dog lately...i pulled 6-8 off him the other day...time to get the drops out!

cold wont kill ticks...sorry guys...ive worked at Cape Cod and on lake michigan...both get much worse winters than we do...and they have MUCH worse tick problems..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I raise guineas for tick control, but a good healthy population of pheasants, grouse turkey and just about any other bird that eats insects work well. As hawk numbers increased, the tick eating birds decreased and we now have more ticks. Before the nineties I never saw a deer tick around here, just dog ticks. And the dog ticks were mostly only a problem between April and August. Now with these deer ticks you see them all year long and they carry Lyme disease.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Seen where ticks are killing moose...sucking the blood right out of them. One moose in Wisconsin , I believe, was said to have 100,000 ticks on it.
Found 6 on me after 2 hours on the stream trout fishing a couple weeks ago...yuck !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts