The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation:

I have 2 puppies living in my house. 10 month old Brittany and 9 month old black lab. The Brit is mine and the lab is my roommates. Once a month the lab gets a pill at the vet for ticks. I have been using a seresto collar, but the lab keeps ripping it off of the Brit while they are playing and since the collar is not on the dog enough it is becoming in effective. The current collar I have had for about 3 weeks and in the past week I have had to remove 5 ticks from him (not just crawling, but actually imbedded). I don't know much about the pills or any other tick treatment. Can anyone help me out? The pill seems to work for the lab, but I have also never even saw a tick crawling on the lab. My Brit seems to be a tick magnet though.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Bravecto. I use Soresto with good results but I also don't have another dog pulling it off.

Reactions: Marcus99

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the seresto collars work well when they are always on ,
until they get wet ,then it takes a day or so to become effective again.
if your dog is always getting wet their lifespan is cut in half .

it all depends on the time of year and how ticky it can be
summer I use the bravecto monthly pill
thru hunting season I use the bravecto and slap a seresto collar on the day before a hunt.
when it freezes over I stop the bravecto leave the seresto on till spring and we start getting wet

·
Super Moderator
13,019 Posts
Our dog was vaccinated for Lime Disease, before going back for the booster shot I found three ticks on her, The vet gave her an antibiotic shot and her booster. The next exam she tested negative for Lime.

For two years now we have put the Seresto collar on her and found 0 ticks since. Yesterday Daisy and I went for a 5 mile shed hunt....found 0 ticks on her and 5 on me. Got to dedicate a pair or woods jeans to spray with permethrin....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The Seresto collar works well for my English cocker. I also spray his brush vest with permethrin and comb him as soon as we get back to the car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just pulled another one out of him last night. He is on his way to the vet today to get Bravecto. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the Seresto collar on my black lab. I tighten the collar just enough to get 2 fingers in between. When she was 1 years old, man we were plucking ticks off her like daily. Blood work came back she's fine. Using the seresto collar past 7 years with no ticks found on her. I examine her & comb her hair after every outing. Was out last week walking the tree lines looking for sheds. I didn't find any on her.

I did hear a report from the a vet. The seresto collars are not as powerful as what the vet. carries if bought from chain link stores such as wal-mart. Well for $20 cheaper I get the collar from wal-mart. Haven't seen any ticks on her, plus fleas etc. We be outside on the back deck. I can see the darn nats flying around her 8-10 inch's from her face & body but never land on her. After a few minutes they move on.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
Use the Soresto's on our 2 dogs and they work great. They are slightly pricey getting them from the vets but it is convenient.
The one had a reaction to it when they first came out but I tried it on him the following year and it was fine. Not sure if the collar itself made him less active or the fact he didn't like the feel around his neck but he is fine with it now.
I like not having replace it through out the year since I keep it on them till they go to the vets every May for booster shots and health check. They swim with them on and I have not observed any type insects on the dogs, even misquotes do not seem to bother them much.
They say they work for 8 months but I keep them on year round in case there is a early hatch or not a hard freeze to put the ticks out of the picture.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the seresto isn't working for me because it keeps being pulled off of him. I would say it is on him for 18-20 hours out of the day. I have it on him snug. I can fit about 2 fingers under it. Maybe I just got a bad one? He now has bravecto from the vet, so hopefully that does the trick. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use the seresto collar as well on my older GSP. The pup has had her puppy visits & the vet has just been giving her something orally for fleas & ticks. I'll start the collar on her after this dose she got is done.

The only time I had a problem with the collar was one summer the older one was swimming a lot. My parents would watch the kids overnight a couple days a week when my wife had to work and they'd take the dog. Her and the kids would swim practically the whole time they were there. I really didn't believe the advice about replacing the collar more often if the dog swims alot. I do now. She ended up getting fleas & before we knew it she'd gotten fleas in the boys' room and that is/was something I don't care to repeat.

The vet did tell me that once they go swimming it takes a day or so for the collar to get back to covering their entire body.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Brit isn't much of a swimmer, actually he avoids water unless he is retrieving a bird then he is all about it. He hasn't been swimming in several months though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My vet told me the pills and the topicals (frontline, k9 advanitx, etc...) don't repel the ticks but instead have the chemicals so that when the tick embeds it dies in the skin. This was when I was using K9 Advantix II. Now mine have a seresto and a vaccine. If you know you're going where the ticks are bad do a topical spray like permethrin on your dog. The link is below. I trust this on me and if they state it works on dogs to repel I will trust it since I haven't gotten a tick on me in over 4 years using sawyers. Plus the aerosol or spray is cheap compared to others. I would try a small spot on your dog before spraying his entire undercarriage with it to make sure your dog doesn't have an adverse effect. Some dogs (collie's, setter's and a few others have a strange gene that doesn't react well "sometimes" to some chemicals. More specifically ivermectin for worms).

https://sawyer.com/dogs-and-permethrin-insect-repellent/

Plus right now it's on sale at Walmart since it isn't hunting season per se. I use the aerosol since I've had bad luck with the pump bottles squirter.

·
Registered
247 Posts
IIRC, permethrin is of little value for spraying on yourself, only good on your clothes, as it breaks down in a very short time on human skin. For human skin would stick with picaridin or DEET.

·
Registered
244 Posts
IIRC, permethrin is of little value for spraying on yourself, only good on your clothes, as it breaks down in a very short time on human skin. For human skin would stick with picaridin or DEET.

Yes... I strip naked and spray my whole body with sawyers... OR maybe I spray it on my clothes...

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Bravecto and Nexguard work great, and Rick's need to feed for about 10 hours to transmit disease and both of these "pills" kill any tick longer before that.

Seresto collar is a great option too if you don't want to go the monthly pill route. Just keep in mind, per several vets I have been told that the 8 month efficacy can diminish to like 4-6 months if your dog is a frequent swimmer. Still even 4 months efficacy at around $50/collar is still a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Bravecto and Nexguard work great, and Rick's need to feed for about 10 hours to transmit disease and both of these "pills" kill any tick longer before that.

Seresto collar is a great option too if you don't want to go the monthly pill route. Just keep in mind, per several vets I have been told that the 8 month efficacy can diminish to like 4-6 months if your dog is a frequent swimmer. Still even 4 months efficacy at around $50/collar is still a very good deal.

I just replace the collar every 6 months. I've got too much wrapped up in that dog to try to stretch a dollar. Have been back and forth with Soresto and Bravecto. Both have worked well for me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I've been using cattle tags and have been very satisfied with the performance and price. Not sure if I would use them on an indoor dog though...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts