The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using SAWYERS for years and it works, but it can be expensive......So I was told to try this, as it's the same chemical as SAWYERS....This will last a few years, I was told mix 2oz. to a gallon of water, and use it as you would SAWYERS. I purchased from Tractor Supply, but I had to order online and shipped FREE to my local store, cause they claim it's not sold in stores....It was under $11.00....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I’ve used them both. Both work. But the TS stuff has a noticeable odor to the clothing after drying. If that matters to you.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
You have to watch. I ordered a bottle last year and it was a petroleum/oil base. It stunk really bad and did not dissipate. Had to wash the clothes many times to get rid of the smell. I need to make sure the next batch is water based.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Somewhere on the bottle it needs to say "Water Based", if it doesn't you'll regret the smell that does not go away.

Just go to your local hardware store and buy Bed Bug Killer in the easy spray bottle, no mixing required as it has the correct .5% Permethrin and is water based. Much cheaper than Sawyers.
I just bought a 32 oz bottle from Agway for $6.99 and there sitting right beside this was the Sawyers stuff, smaller bottle for $16.99

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I have the same stuff that petroleum based. Have used it for year to keep the ticks off of me in Missouri. I mix 1.5 oz to 32oz of water, do have a slight smell when it is applied but none when it dry's.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Somewhere on the bottle it needs to say "Water Based", if it doesn't you'll regret the smell that does not go away.

Just go to your local hardware store and by Bed Bug Killer in the easy spray bottle, no mixing required as it has the correct .5% Permethrin and is water based. Much cheaper than Sawyers.
I just bought a 32 oz bottle from Agway for $6.99 and there sitting right beside this was the Sawyers stuff, smaller bottle for $16.99
Thanks for the heads up. I'll pick some up when I run out of Sawyers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I use the 36.8% concentrate from Amazon. It has petroleum but I can't notice any smell, particularly using so little. Besides, turkeys don't have a sense of smell any better than yours! Regarding amounts all you have to remember is your high school physics whereas C1V1=C2V2. C=concentration, V=volume. So, if you want a gallon for spraying, C1=.368 (the 36.8% concentrate), C2=.005 (for a .5% solution) and V2=128 (if you want a gallon). Thus solving for V1 it will be 1.74 oz. So I just mix it 2 oz. concentrate per gallon of water. When I spray/wet down all my spring clothing I usually mix up 2 gallons and use my garden sprayer.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Just go to your local hardware store and buy Bed Bug Killer in the easy spray bottle, no mixing required as it has the correct .5% Permethrin and is water based. Much cheaper than Sawyers.
I'm with you but use this one. Might cost a bit more than the cheap barn spray concentrates but a lot less than Sawyers and approved for use on clothes.

Need to order this on line and pick up at store. Lowe's has it too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JT-Eaton-1-Gal-Ready-to-Use-Spray-209-W1G/204513790

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have had success with eliminating the petroleum based smell by adding it to the various Scent Eliminator Products, either unscented and Earth scent.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have had success with eliminating the petroleum based smell by adding it to the various Scent Eliminator Products, either unscented and Earth scent.
I will say this, years ago when all I could find was the petroleum based one, I never had a deer bust me due to scent

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Been using SAWYERS for years and it works, but it can be expensive......So I was told to try this, as it's the same chemical as SAWYERS....This will last a few years, I was told mix 2oz. to a gallon of water, and use it as you would SAWYERS. I purchased from Tractor Supply, but I had to order online and shipped FREE to my local store, cause they claim it's not sold in stores....It was under $11.00....
That’s the same stuff I use

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I sprayed down my clothing on Wednesday and allowed to air dry....Thursday I went and took a stroll and to check my camera, I not one tick on me....It works as good as Sawyers at a much cheaper price

·
Registered
247 Posts
So I sprayed down my clothing on Wednesday and allowed to air dry....Thursday I went and took a stroll and to check my camera, I not one tick on me....It works as good as Sawyers at a much cheaper price
Dang. You've made me do all the Google searches again. There seems to be no science based info on the petroleum based perithrins barn sprays for treating clothing so cannot tell if they have the persistence of those that are water based. If there is no evidence that petroleum based will hold up as long as water based, will stick with paying a bit more.

The techniques for lifetime persistence as used on military clothing all seem to have patents for their encapsulation or mordant methodology that are not public so if you want that, you'll need to send clothing out to one of those that do that.

I think I will pay the slight premium for the truly oderless water based that has substantiation for up to 6 washes and go with the best buy among those. If you want to save a little bit more and use something that has not been proven to work as well, be my guest.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
OK. This is kind of strange and I probably just jinxed myself, but ticks don't like me. I spend an immense amount of time in the outdoors and have never had one on me. My buddy's camp is overrun with them and while everyone else wears long pants, and I wear shorts, they get them all over, and I never have any. Weird! Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I use the stuff from Tractor Supply. It does have an odor but I hunt with it anyway. Taken several deer with a bow while wearing it. One thing to remember, water based is more likely to wash out in the washer than petroleum based. It was several years ago, but someone posted a picture of a can a of Sawyers ingredients, in a forum. It listed petroleum as an additive. I don't believe it is on the label anymore. Anyway here is a video I made of the home brew.
https://youtu.be/HFC1NKF15Fg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts