The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new surf rod. Broke my 8 footer last year. I am looking at the Tica dolphin,the Diawa Emblem and the St Croix Triumph. Any help or experience with these rods would be helpful. I will probably put a Shimano Baitrunner or Penn Slammer on it.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I love my tica's ...have two of them. one thing i hate about surf rods is they can get uncomfortable after awhile. not my tica's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definatly want to step up from what I had. I am fairly new to surf fishing,but it is obvious that the 8 footer is my most used rod. The 10 that I have is awefully heavy.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
My favorite is the 9', i use it for tossing metal alot but it has great sensitivity for a 9' to feel the smallest bite on bait.

I hear ya on the 10' telephone poles, got two of those and they just stay in the sandspikes once i cast them out. Work great on the bigger things, but most of what i catch is not in that category.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
9' 6 tica here for my bait and metal casting needs. My favorite of all the surf rods I have owner over the years. Not for big stuff but I don't fish where the big stuff is.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the St Croix at Susquhanna B&T. I really liked the way it felt. I can say this though. Before long I will have the Tica in a 9 footer. What a quality piece. Thanks to Mike at SBT for all your help.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
SS43, i may be getting out of the surf fishing hobby for a few years and mine will likely just sit in the corner of the hunting room as it only got used a week a year as it is...if you ever want to give it a try let me know.

Unfortunately it looks like we are a pretty good distance apart. I would sell it to you reasonable, but I hate to close the chapter on surf fishing that completely.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RB, don't get rid of your stuff! There's always gonna be a beach vacation that you'll need something to fish with. I'd rather have the stuff collecting dust,than not have it when I could use it. I mean YOU use it,not ME.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from Florida. Had a blast. I put a Cabelas Salt Striker reel on the rod with 17lb line. With a 1.5 oz weight it casts a MILE!!! unfortunatly, I did not catch any fish with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts