The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get out on Thursday morning so I decided to go to a spot that I had been wanting to hit and that I doubted got much pressure. I pull in around 4:50 and there is an SUV parked there. So much for that assumption. Well that plan is over so I take off for an old trusty spot about 5 miles away. I arrive at about 5:10 and briskly walk out on an access road that wraps around a hillside overlooking a hollow. The bench it sits on is about 40 yards wide but gets thick at times on each side of the acess road. There is about 5 yards, then the road and then another 30 or so yards before the hill starts up again. I stopped where there is a quad trail down into the hollow in case I needed to make a move down in. Now the waiting game starts. Around 5:40 I hear 2 gobbles sound off in the same area. I take off down the road about 100-150 yds. when I find a spot that has a nice open area on both sides. The opening is about 30 yards wide. No sooner do I get stopped and they sound off again with a 3rd bird joining in off to my right a distance. The spot is perfect. The first 2 birds are directly in front of me. I hastily set out my cheap foam decoys and find the largest tree to use as my backstop. I am about 20 yards from my decoys and 35 yards to the dropoff over the hill. I calm myself and give a few soft yelps. They sound off. I determined that I was not going to call again until I knew they either flew down or changed location. I was unsure if they were still on the roost. A few minutes later I hear the original 2 gobble. They have definitely moved to my left but still in the same area. I send out a five or so yelp series. They cut me off before I could finish. Game On. I wait a little and give one more call. They answer and are definitely closer. I set the call beside me and wait. I will not see these birds until they are on top of me if they come straight in. I have the gun up and ready pointing straight at the edge of the bench where it drops over the hill. Not 5 minutes later they crest the hill. The first bird has what appears to be a nice beard. The 2nd bird notices the decoys and starts to strut. I am trying to judge which bird has the bigger beard but I didn't want to blow this becuase they could be gone in a flash. I decide I am taking the strutter. The first bird turns and looks back at the hillside. The strutter quits and stretches out his neck looking down the road to my right. I figure now or never. BOOM! He drops, starts thrashing a little and then it's all over.

18#
7/8" and 15/16" spurs
10 1/8" beard

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Nice hunt. Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
24,075 Posts
Nice bird congrats

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Awesome, I luv it when it happens that quick! Then sit there and wish it if taken a little longer! Congratz!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts