The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday, missed my chance at a slam-dunk doe. Had her slightly quartering away at 30 yards, took the shot, and instantly felt as if my thumb had been slammed in a door. Judging by the way that the deer (3) acted and no blood or hair on the ground after the shot (never found the bolt), I'm positive I whiffed. I've owned crossbows since they became legal for the general public to use, so I'm not new to this, I've never got stung in the thumb before, while hunting or practicing, but they only thing I can think happened was that I had my front-hand thumb curled onto the rail, instead of down by the grip.

I'm fine with a clean miss, happens to the best of us. I will be more conscious of where my thumb is in the future. My question is, has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Not me but I often hear of it happening. Many of the newer crossbow have built in blocks to prevent is from happening.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
There was a thread last year with pics of a guys thumb or finger that got in he way of the string. Very messy. I clipped a finger tip when decocking with a decocking bolt last winter. I was very careless and relaxed attitude when shooting to decock.Just barely clipped the tip of my finger. Nasty blood blister.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
When I worked at bass pro, saw many customers come in with fingers, parts of fingers missing. Crossbow's are to be taken serious.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yeah. Dont do that! It sounds easy enough, until you're tired and FINALLY back to your truck and all you wana do is get home and have some dinner and relax. You shoot down your bow and WHAM! It feels like your finger just got slammed in a vault door! Never did it myself, but had a customer, after many...MANY reminders and in-depth instruction to keep his left hand fingers out of the way and where I told him to put them on the bow, almost take the tip, nail included, of his left thumb clean off with his very first shot. I was standing over his left shoulder and at the shot he screeched, dropped the bow and clutched his left hand, leaving a spray of blood up the range wall and both our faces... I told him... He actually tried to sue the store until we showed him and his lawyer the surveillance camera footage of me repeatedly instructing him where to place his hands.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
The first time my dad shot his I told him that he was going to shoot his thumb because he always holds a gun with it up in the air..... Guess who was right

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Knew a guy who ripped part of his finger off. I grazed one of mine once, felt numb for quite a while.

·
Registered
644 Posts
nope, dont wanna have to get my finger glued back on. seeing pictures of fingers ripped apart or off and the warning sticker on my bow kinda got the point across.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
One of the reasons why I purchased the parker enforcer for the kids there is no way to have your thumb in the way.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
jmdb25 said:
One of the reasons why I purchased the parker enforcer for the kids there is no way to have your thumb in the way.
My Raptor FX has guards also. And a handle foregrip to carry when walking so fingers don't get anywhere near.

I see so many carrying their xbow through the woods, cocked, one-handed, with their hand at the foregrip. Fingers under and thumb over the rail and bolt, like carrying a rifle one-handed at midpoint.

A severe accident waiting to happen!

·
Registered
301 Posts
there is a few pics going around that are pretty nasty guys missing half there thumb or it just hanging on by the skin before i take a shot i always look up to see were my hand is

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies. After reading some of the stories, sounds like I got off easy.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
About a month ago, was shooting my Parker x-bow in back yard, got my left thumb up too high and the string hit thumbnail. Oh, was that painful. It cut the nail nearly in half, swelled up, and bled a lot. Got the bleeding stopped, kept ice on it to a long time to reduce swelling. Lucky I did not loose the tip of thumb. Now, I have a strip of velcro on left side of forearm so I know not to put thumb any higher. (I can feel the velcro with thumb).

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
I've hit mine more than once.Yes it hurt very bad.Hope I don't ever do it again.I have a Caldwell dead shot field pod.If I use it it can't happen.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
How do you smack your thumb more than once?!
Sorry, but after the first time I'd figure somebody would learn not to put your fingers there!
Did you ever stick a fork in an electrical outlet when you were a kid too?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
.... Did you ever stick a fork in an electrical outlet when you were a kid too?
I never did, wouldn't fit, but a bobby pin did!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have done it but not while hunting ,so used to shooting rifle naturally try to wrap that thumb around the forearm numb/black and blue swelled way up never make that mistake again!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice thing about the Mission Dagger, thought I would share, is that forearm grip has the flared guard on it of course and the string rail above that is a good distance higher than the finger guard. So there is a pretty good safe zone if your fingers get around the guard. It can still be done if your not paying attention, but is a stretch to get to the danger zone. Still though you should always be looking at your digits before pulling that trigger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts