The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

throw away the drop away?

5K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  Stuffer 
#1 ·
so both my boys are shooting 2014 hoyt chargers. they shoot right at 300fps. we are wondering about the drop aways getting out of the way.
i know 100 % that the nap rest was not getting out of the way as it wore the felt right off the prong. he switched to a qad ultra rest and i am not sure that is getting out of the road in time either.
we took a slow motion video then slowed that down even more with a computer program and it looks really close.
the other boy has had his qad ultra rest not go down a few times but it never tried. no mistaking that (loud and arrow loops down range) we adjusted his cord as it was loose at full draw. and so far that one seems ok but that is the expensive ultra rest and the other is the "hunter".
has anyone else had trouble or inconsistent results with these rests?
my thinking is i would sacrifice the 2 fps and go to a whisker biscuit for piece of mind but i will leave that up to them.

#2 ·
Some people swear by the drop away.
Have a friend of mine who is good friends with the owner of an Archery shop.
The owner said everyone in the shooting leagues improved their scores after switching to a Drop Away.
I shoot well with the Biscuit and any more of a tighter group is not going to help me in the field.
Something mechanical is one more thing ya have to worry about failing.
Just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
I had the AAE DOA rest installed on my bow in July. I'm shooting @ 318fps and have not had any issues. The shop served the cord in rather than using the clamps. I think the big key is having a reputable shop set up a drop away for you so there isn't any issues and everything is perfect. With the drop away I am shooting tighter groups than I did with the WB. I am also very confident in the rest after putting a thousand or so arrows through it without a hitch.

#6 ·
I still shoot the original Ripcord that I bought 10-12 years ago. It's been on three different bows and has been flawless for me.
I added a soft piece of rubber to the riser where the launcher arm hits to eliminate the "click" it made when it fell, but other than that I think that rest is perfect.

Tell those stud boys of yours to shoot a heavier arrow. It will slow things down, make everything more quiet, penetrate better, and be more forgiving to shot form overall.
I went to a 11.3 gpi Full Metal Jacket this year which added about 50 grains to my setup. The penetration difference is substantial.

#7 ·
JJ5C said:
I had the AAE DOA rest installed on my bow in July. I'm shooting @ 318fps and have not had any issues. The shop served the cord in rather than using the clamps. I think the big key is having a reputable shop set up a drop away for you so there isn't any issues and everything is perfect. With the drop away I am shooting tighter groups than I did with the WB. I am also very confident in the rest after putting a thousand or so arrows through it without a hitch.
the younger boys bow had a few hundred shots through his before it failed to drop and needed the cord adjusted and it had been served in so i have it jery rigged for now until he gets a clamp. i think maybe after awhile the cords stretch.

#9 ·
If a QAD (or any drop away really) is not getting out of the way in time, the rest is not timed correctly. I had a QAD HDX on an RPM 360, which is much faster than the Charger, and it worked flawlessly. I will admit the QAD hunter is kind of junky, there is a reason it is so cheap. But I put QAD HDX rests on every bow I own and really like them.

#10 ·
I would agree that there is something wrong with the timing/installation. I have the HDX on a '14 Prime Alloy which shoots mid to low three's and have had zero problems. The cord has to be right where it needs to be or it's not gonna work right. I would take it to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Kecks in Newville is one of the best around IMO.

#14 ·
Think of it this way. If you ever go on an expensive hunt and you're miles from a bowshop or even one close to home, and you have a problem with your rest. Would you rather have a problem with a drop away rest or a Whisker Biscuit. I know what one I would pick, because its bolted to my bow. It's impossible to beat a Whisker Biscuit for reliability and performance.

#15 ·
Live2Bowhunt said:
Think of it this way. If you ever go on an expensive hunt and you're miles from a bowshop or even one close to home, and you have a problem with your rest. Would you rather have a problem with a drop away rest or a Whisker Biscuit. I know what one I would pick, because its bolted to my bow. It's impossible to beat a Whisker Biscuit for reliability and performance.
WB are nice but i'll never shoot one again. your exact scenario happened to a fellow i was hunting with in illinois last year and i had him shooting dead nutz in 2 hours time.

#16 ·
I have a nap rest and the felt was coming off of mine as well. Not wanting to play around I took it to the bow shop and had the guy look it over. He couldn't see anything wrong with it so we shot through paper 5 or 6 times and I was getting bullet holes. Had the rest for four years now so I am just attributing the felt coming off as normal wear and tear.

#17 ·
I feel if your not confident with your equipment no matter what it is then use something that you are confident with. Otherwise you'll drive yourself bonkers worrying about it. I switched from a WB even though it was shooting fine, I just couldn't get it out of my head that the contact with the vanes couldn't be good.

#22 ·
I put a Whisker Biscuit on my new Concept bow and I'm glad I did. The buck I harvested this year came trucking in very quickly. I snapped the nock on the string and just dropped the arrow in the Biscuit. Very quick and reliable rest for hunting. Sure nice to have it that day. Just my two cents... Good luck

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.