The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this year i tried a small food plot using throw and grow. The grass grew but i havent really seen any deer eating the grass. I placed cameras on it and they would walk right past it. my question is, has anyone had any luck with the throw and grow or if there is something better on the market to grow for a food plot.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I planted a plot with it and the grass really grew tall and thick. Hardly saw any clover or brassica which I think were the other two seeds in the bag. I have had success with planting clover and chicory. I got three years out of my one plot that was clover and chicory which I would mow once a year and I did not spray anything for the weeds. I think Evolve Habitats is the ones who make Throw and Grow and I think they might offer cheap seed bags but they may not be the best product. The clover and chicory mix I bought was called Monster Mix and that is made by Tecomate. I always wanted to try BioLogic. I did try some sample packs of Whitetail Institutes clover and it grows but I can't say it is any better than Tecomates product.

Might want to consider posting your question in the Habitat Forum.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The grass is ryegrass and is not s preferred deer food. Different from rye tho. Rye is a good deer food.

I planted Thro and Gro once, won't again.

A simple brassica mix might do well for you in the future.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Throw and Grow.

That's about it! A good laugh!

I used it once and learned not to ever use it again.

Raked, Limed and Fertilized. Then I threw it alright
along with the $40.00 that I paid for it up in the air. It did not grow.

·
Registered
28,480 Posts
It turns nice and pretty green, but then gives you a ryegrass problem for 3 years....

Just plant winter rye and mix in some brassicas.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I guess a few of us have made the mistake of throwing this stuff around. Thankfully, I didn't waste my time with it on a big plot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info. as i said ive never tried to grow food plots and i figured it would be something new to try and see if it would make a difference in my area. im gonna do some more research and try some of your recommendations.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am having success with a plot I planted in mid July with throw and grow. To my surprise a lot of the clover is popping up along with some Brassicus. I did over lime the area and fertilized and limed right before a rainfall. I visited the plot last week and there some huge buck tracks in it. I am planting turnips and rape on the other side of plot so it will be interesting to see what is preferred after I put the small cage up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts