The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...anybody ever use this for a food plot? i got a 2 acre field on my property..it has a ton of clover but i would like to plant something elase just to spice it up, but i dont want to have to bring in a tractor to tear the entire property apart. just wanna know if this stuff works.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Only tried it once and it was much less than successful. Perhaps it was worked for others??

Have two other remote no tractors access areas I would like to come up with some product to grow?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
most i've talked to said the only thing that grew was the rye grass. If you have clover, don't ruin it by introducing rye grass, as you already have the better of the two growing successfully.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
If you have clover stay with it....Maybe in July till up a short strip and plant some turnips , or rape......

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
And see if you can give it a good mowing once a year to promote new, succulent growth...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am curious for those who state it is mostly rye grass what brand were you using? A friend from work used it down in Virgina and said that the deer in their area were quite attracted to it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Anything from mossy oak has always worked well for me I really liked the winter bulbs and sugar beets fertilizer has been the key for me the stuff will grow without it but so much better with it It's almost not worth the time and money without it

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Throw and pray

If you have equipment I would plant a mix of clover, brassicas and groundhog radishes

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It worked great for me I'll try to upload some photos.

·
Registered
959 Posts
jrya said:
so if throw and grow stinks, what else can i use without a lot of work....
Any foodplot is alot of work. Even the clover you have now will be useless in six months if you don't put work into it mowing and spraying for weeds/grasses.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
DDX said:
jrya said:
so if throw and grow stinks, what else can i use without a lot of work....
Any foodplot is alot of work. Even the clover you have now will be useless in six months if you don't put work into it mowing and spraying for weeds/grasses.
Mowing is the key to clover after you have a good start. It will spread and produce new shoots which the deer and turkey love. When the clover gets old without mowing it gets tough and the deer will pay less attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts