The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method do you use and why? I am new to this and just started shooting a primitive bamboo backed hickory bow off knuckle. When I tried to shoot split finger it was hard for me to control the arrow when I would draw the bow. So I tried three under and it was much easier so that's where I stayed.

I'm just curious what others do and why?

I am also going to try to train myself to shoot both right and left or at least practice them both and see what's better. I am right handed but left eye dominant

To be honest I'm shooting a lot better than I thought I would in the early stages. But, not ready to hit the woods by any means.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use split finger just because thats how I started and never switched. If you are going to use the point of arrow for sighting, 3 under will get your point-on distance alittle closer because the arrow will be closer to your eye. My son is left eye dominant, he tried shooting right handed for several years and did fairly well. Once in awhile his brain would forget to compensate and the arrow would fly a yard or two off target. He switched to left handed and shot as well or better almost immediately.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I shoot three under for the reasons mentioned above. It puts the arrow closer to my eye. It also feels more comfortable to me. Shooting a right handed bow while being left eye dominant is definitely going to be a challenge. Most shooters will have better luck shooting left handed...

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Is shoot split finger.......I draw with three fingers, and then drop my ring finger off once I get to full draw......

I started split finger when I was a kid, I have tried several different ways, and nothing is as comfortable to me as split finger with a tab...

On another note, I shoot my compound the same way......no release for me...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Three under for the same reasons as stated above. I taught myself everything a bout 4 years ago because I knew no one who shot trad. I started split but my max range was about 15 yards and i wasn't progressing any further. Switched to 3 under and was able to extend my range a little beyond 20.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I always shot split finger with the compound with sights,never could get used to a release. I guess it would be easier to shoot 3 under with a trad bow since your eye will be closer to the arrow.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think I will stay with three under it just feels better for me. I still don't understand why the arrow is harder to control when pulling back with split finger. I'm guessing the string is twisting somehow.

As far as the eye dominance I am going to start practicing lefty and hopefully will get comfortable enough to do either someday. I bought a bowfit gadget from 3Rivers to start training my muscles. Anyone ever use one of these?

Thanks for all the tips and info guys

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I use 3 under because it allows me to get a better anchor (I wear glasses) and also because I mostly shoot primatives off the knuckles without an arrow shelf on the bow.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I shoot split finger. It's how I started, I fooled around with 3 under, but I'm a split finger shooter.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I've shot both split finger (for quite a few years) and now three-under. I shoot better three-under. With a deep hook I have no problem with the arrow coming off the shelf, perhaps it's just a matter of doing it long enough to not be a problem, and I hold the bow almost vertical with very little cant. I only cant enough to get the string out of my line of sight with the arrow directly under my eye.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
same here..i shot split finger for years..then switched to 3 under. seemed very strange at first. But now years later there is no way i'd go back to split. My accuracy is much, much better with 3 under.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts