The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for constructive thoughts,ideas or critics of this shot. Do you like it? what would you change or what would you do to it in photoshop to make it better.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i think its a really cool picture the way its set-up but i would maybe put the birds so their heads are on the bottom side of the picture instead of the top.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Agreed. I'd reverse the birds or take from a differnt angle so you can see their heads. You probably know this, but I'd increase the aperature for a better DOF as well.

Nice staging though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It looks like you want the birds as the focal object. I would pose them more carefully and focus on a feather instead of the branches behind them. I'd also take several photos at different f-stops and shutter speeds...but I use film, so bracketing is important.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Like others have said the focal length needs work. I too would turn the birds around. If you are going to add the branches to the frame, make sure you cant see where you snapped them off and I would make sure that the leaves are right side up not upside down.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with the depth of field and broken branch pointed out by others, but I would leave the birds in their current positioning. The bird layout, I imagine not by coincidence, matches the bird layout on the RGS hat. I think the birds look a little beat up. Perhaps you could fix em' up a bit

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm new to the forums but enjoy the pics. Nice concept. The "Rule-of-Thirds" should be exercised here I think. My eyes are drawn to the middle of the photograph where there is alot going on. I'd either utilize more of the frame, or drop the frame to the lower left so the subject of interest is in the top right third of the photo.

I agree with the turning of the Grouse. Head facing to the left corner, with wings out slightly, and ruffled feathers. The Woodcock looks fine.

Other than the broken branch, I like how the green interrupts the orange

Maybe display two loaded brass and one spent shell in the frame between the two birds.

Great photo and above all, great job on two bagged gamebirds!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
KLL said:
I agree with the depth of field and broken branch pointed out by others, but I would leave the birds in their current positioning. The bird layout, I imagine not by coincidence, matches the bird layout on the RGS hat. I think the birds look a little beat up. Perhaps you could fix em' up a bit
Cool, I didn't even notice the birds on the hat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts