The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a possible trade lined up for my cva OPTIMA V2 pistol for a savage 110 in 243.

Wondering if anyone has this gun, and has any opinions on it.

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
Savages are great rifles they shoot great right out of the box, I used the same thing for 10 years and killed a lot of deer with it. Only reason I got rid of it was it had a wooden stock and was too heavy to carry around as I got older. I got a Savage 270 after that but recently bought another 243 Savage Axis. You can't go wrong with them. BTW both have the synthetic stock.

·
Registered
288 Posts
TMike - it depends on the model. The older 110's shot great, and as Moss said, were heavy and had a wood stock. The newer models vary as well. Still with a wooden stock, but they have a DBM and the accutrigger.

I have a 116 weather warrior in 300WSM - and while a bit on the heavy side with the scope I put on it, it shoots very nice. Love the accutrigger

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have an older 110 wood stock no accu trigger in 30.06 great shooter. Killed many of whitetail with that gun. Only downfall is that it's quite heavy.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
TurkeyMike said:
I have a possible trade lined up for my cva OPTIMA V2 pistol for a savage 110 in 243.

I have savage 110 in .243... have it topped with a swift 4-12x40x scope.
It's as accurate as the person pulling the trigger. If i'm not cutting clover leafs with it, it's me, not the fifle.

I use store bought 100gr rem PSP and it shoots em' just as good as any premier hand load.

Also use this rifle as my primary g-hog rifle.

I'd say it'd be a good trade!

·
Super Moderator
24,059 Posts
I forgot to mention the Savages that don't have the accu trigger have a hard trigger pull but can be fixed by any good gunsmith. My 270 had an 8lb trigger pull but now it has a 3lb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have two 110's and a 116 (just stainless). one 110 has no accu-trigger and the other does. 116 has the accu trigger. Other than my bench gun, my 7mm 116 is my favorite rifle. If I could make a recommendation go stainless. At Grice's its only 100 more for the Nikon scope package. You cant go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I have one and love it.Accurate and minimal recoil being a 243.It will be in the woods in the morning.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
TurkeyMike said:

Savage made three different 110 models. The original 110 was a true long action for cartridges such as the 30-06. For a while they added a spacer to this action to accommodate the use of short action cartridges like the 243. Savage also built an intermediate action 110 for use with short action cartridges. All the older Savage actions had a flat rear receiver. Whereas the newer actions are a round rear.

Current 110 through 116 actions are only chambered for long action cartridges. All the short action cartridges are designated by models 10 through 16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts