The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to go out this morning, to a little patch my brother knows about in Audubon, and this afternoon we still hunted Evansburg State Park.

And you know what I saw?? Not a !#($*@($*^% thing!

But man did it feel good to be out in the woods again. We must've walked literally half of the mill rd/ water street loop at Evansburg. Saw one other hunter. Of course we make it back to the car and start heading out, and there's a bunch of doe eyeballing us from some locals' backyard!

Anybody else get out today?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Thoughts on the early opener - Nah, not interested. Cant shoot what I'm after and it's to warm for me.
Best of luck to you though.

·
Super Moderator
4,848 Posts
I took my son out for a few hours.Didn't even take my bow.I am more interested in my son getting a shot than me.I will say it was kind of cool with the fog rolling around.That and my son got to use his new camo for the first time.Time with a kid outdoors is precious.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
My thoughts on this early opener are pretty simple. Do I really need to harvest a doe in 80° temperatures and then scramble to keep it fresh, or should I head to Hawk Mt. to experience the amazing annual migration of raptors.

I spent 7 hours on Hawk Mt. Friday, and watched the early fall flight of broad-winged hawks pass over the North Look Out. When I headed back to the car, I'd recorded 450 broad-winged hawks, 10 bald eagles, 14 ospreys, and assorted others.

I truly enjoy archery season, small game season, and deer season, but when a northwest wind is forecast between Sept. 1 and Dec. 15, I attempt to make my way to the North Lookout. You do not need to be a nerdy birder to thoroughly enjoy close-up views of raptors.

Take your family for an outing. They will hold you in high esteem, and over-look the many sessions you spent perched in a tree stand.

If you are clueless about raptors, and would appreciate a mentor on the North Lookout, PM me. I'm retired and need only an excuse to sit on a lookout rock.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
I think folks hunting farm fields and agriculture sources are going to be in for a rough early season. I been giving away my old public land hunting spots lately, and met up with a guy yesterday to show him around the mountain. Although I think he showed me more than I showed him as I told him about it 2 years ago and he's been hunting the area. Sheesh!...do the woods change in just a couple years.

I don't think I have ever seen a mast crop like this year. It was like walking on marbles with the acorns in some spots. A poor summer for crops due to little rain but the deer won't go hungry on the mountain.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Cashed in on a nice doe last night down in Avondale. Saw her at about 65 yds out and she worked her way right to me. Gave me a broadside shot at 20 yds. She ran about 100 yds and crashed. Love the thought of early meat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats exactly how I see it, Jet. Don't think filling my tag will keep me out of the woods (Heck, I'll drive 'em if I dont have any shooting left!) but the thought of early meat seems to ease the pressure I put on myself.. easier to enjoy hunting when you've already succeeded once, I guess?

Plus nothing beats venison jerky while you're out hunting, and NONE of that stuff makes it til the next fall.. too tasty :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts