The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read what they're asking for to speak at a church now that DD is on the air.

$50,000 for Phil for a < 2 hour speech.

$10,000 for Willie or Jase.

What are your feelings about these prices? Do you think that they're in line with WWJD and witnessing to others as Christians or are they just savvy businessmen?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't love them, but I also don't remember learning the commandment "thou shall not prosper in a capitalist economy" in Sunday School either.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would agree to that in part, when pertaining to the duck calls and merchandise. Not so much on the spreading the gospel of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well, ..... our church over the years has done many "Sportsman Banquets" and we bring speakers in for the dinners. The speakers all come with a price. Not at $50K, but they do charge. Wish I could remember all of the speakers over the years. I do know we had Charles Alsheimer twice, great guy.
Here's a website that organizes such things, and yes, ... they all charge to speak: http://www.outdoorministrynetwork.com/pages.asp?pageid=38186

I like watching DC, but you have to know that some of that stuff is "staged", after all ..... it's TV/Entertainment.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I think thats too much, but I also think that if someone wants to pay that price, so be it. I researched Phil Robertson when the show came on, and what you find is really interesting. He was a world class athlete. Terry Bradshaw was his BACKUP in college football. He married the girl he loved when she was 16 years old, very common in the south at that time. He said No Thanks to the NFL, because he had a wife at home and duck season was " Fixing to start". ( Bradshaw references that in his autobiography )
All in all, I think he is a legit self made man, with a great family around him, and a true fear of God. Of course the family will capitalize on the success of the show, thats the American way. Like he says on the show, " My Boys took this thing waaaay farther than I ever would have". He should be proud, MHO.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bradshaw wasn't his back up at Tech, he took the scholarship at tech after leaving LSU in his freshman year and was redshirted. His sophmore year he was the starter and broke records and Phil was gone. He was decent, but nothing compared to Terry Bradshaw. But that's not the point, really.

All I was after is if you think that 50K a show to preach was fair or Christian like.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
In all honesty I would rather spend alot less money to travel to Panama or Kenya to hear orphan children sing God's praises in the midst of their poverty than hear a millionaire do so while swimming in his fame and fortune. While I do believe Phil is a God fearing man, I also believe that no one is worth 50,000 dollars when it come to speaking about GOd, especially when I have free and direct access to him through Jesus Christ.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Not the point. correct, but the record shows Mr.
Robertson played 3 years at QB there, turned down the red carpet from the Redskins, and thats when Mr. Bradshaw got the nod. Im a lifelong Steelers fanatic, no bad blood here, but he was indeed Robertsons back up. Interestingly, Phil not only graduated, but went right on to the masters program, and got that degree also. Photo shows the contrast as to how he looked back then

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
..... at the end of day ............ Who are we to judge?

God has Phil and his family where He wants them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Phil graduated from LA Tech and then went to school at night to get his Masters in Education. If money was his driving force he could have went into the NFL (although playsers in that era didn't make NEARLY the kind of money that todays plaers do). He chose to follow his heart, not his wallet. Even through out the wildly succussful videos, Duck Commandaer and Duck Dynasty series, his net worth is valued at a surprisingly low 5 million dollars. I dont't believe that he cares all that much ablut the money but his family and his faith are of the utmost importance to him. I would bet you a fair portion of his "speaking money" and other profits goes towards promoting his faith and other charitable endevors.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If the church has that much money to pay them - there is no need for them to have a fund raiser.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If someone is willing to spend $50K or $100K to hear them speak, I'd say God Bless Them. Or for that matter - God "has blessed" them... I'd only charge maybe $100 myself, I'm cheap.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Love them. If they are not a prime example of the American dream I don't know what is. Taking what your passionate about and making a living what else you want from the guys

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If $50k is what the market bears, then I don't have a problem with them asking it. If there's a fool out there that is willing to pay him that much, well that's between him and his wife. Maybe there are people or charities that believe they benefit that much from Phil that it is worth the fee. I couldn't imagine who or what or why but you never know. Every person places different value on different things. Each of value things differently and each are willing to pay more for the things we value.

I don't begrudge them at all for making money and "selling out". I wish I could sell out and make that kind of money. But alas, nobody was buying what I was selling. I respect Willy immensely. He built a duck call business into a million dollar enterprise. That is no small feat!

As for the show, I like it sometimes. Sometimes, I think it is dumb. I'm astounded at all of the non-duck hunters that watch the show and love it. I think Si is a riot. I like Phil too. I thought the first episode ever of DC on the Outdoor channel was one of the best reality shows I've ever seen. It was basically interviews with Phil and Kay on their early lives, their troubles and how DC got started. It was very interesting and well done. Even my wife who hates everything duck hunting was riveted. If you ever get the chance to watch it, do so.

I think it is paradoxical how we duck hunters want more duck hunters to continue the sport but we bemoan it when there are more duck hunters out there. I'm included. Maybe it is the type of hunter Duck Dynasty brings out. DD seems to have inspired more people to become duck hunters than all of the youth hunting programs combined. It just seems to have inspired a bunch of guys that have never duck hunted before and don't know the "right way." It seems we've all run into more of those guys this year. Some will turn into good respectful hunters that do it right. Others will not. I suspect most won't make it to their third season. But until then, I'll join the chorus of complaints because it does stink to have a hunt ruined when there are so few of them for us weekend warriors. I hope they either learn or quit fast.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts