The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tossin this out for some friendly debate

As most of you know PA has the .27 caliber, 130 grain minimum for Elk hunting. They also permit bows, muzzleloaders and crossbows.

My contention is that the 264 Winnie stoked with a 140 Partition, or Accubond is gonna be just as or even more lethal than the ol' .270 with a 130. Same could be said for the 260 Rem or the 6.5 x 55 Swede or 6.5-06.

Why no love for the 6.5's???

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
6.5 must not be spoken of. Its junk, no good. Only useful for accuracy and long range energy retention. I think Remington has now started denying it exists.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I love the 6.5's and couldn't agree more that the calibers listed are adequate for elk.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
For every person shooting quality ammo there are 2+ shooting the cheapest bargain box they can find.

I would feel fine using a 243 with quality bullet and good shot placement at known reasonable range. That said i would have zero issue with the pgc raising the minimum to 30 caliber

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
No matter where you set that minimum, the next notch down is going to have a gripe about it. If the minimum were .243 then the .22 centerfire shooter would be upset. I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've talked to a number of guides out west and they all say the smallest recommended caliber is 30-06. Like Kudu said, someone will always have a gripe.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
I've talked to a number of guides out west and they all say the smallest recommended caliber is 30-06. Like Kudu said, someone will always have a gripe.
Do they really dismiss the 7mm Rem Mag? It's likely one of the top five elk cartridges out there!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
those recomendations are likely the product of way too many guys heading out there having only shot their rifles a few times over the last several seasons and in turn making poor shots. A 264, 270, 7mm Mag, 30-06 or 300 Win Mag in the right spot is going to have very similiar results.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
My opinion, should be .25 cal. There are some great cartridges that are more than adequate for elk that are illegal under the current regs.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
dpms said:
My opinion, should be .25 cal. There are some great cartridges that are more than adequate for elk that are illegal under the current regs.
I totally agree. The 25/06 is very popular out that way to boot.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Should be .45/70 that way if I decide to sell my 1895 guide gun I can make obscene profits like many are doing these days.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Gun and Ammo prices were getting out of control as it was. Obama just made everyone much more $$$ with his garbage.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I think the PGC is just trying to set realistic caliber minimums. Books could been written debating what the minimum should be. You will always have someone who knew someone who killed a elk with a lesser caliber. There are just to many variables to consider. You can take alot of calibers that would be great elk rounds with one type of bullet and a awful choice with another type of bullet. A 300wby with a 180gr Nosler Partition would be a great elk caliber/bullet combo. A 300wby with a Hornady 100gr SJ would be a poor caliber/bullet combo. People could bash the PGC for even using the .277 diameter bullet as a minimum considering wildcats like the 270 REN (hornet case necked to .277).

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I promise you any elk hit with a nosler partition or barnes x-bullet out of a 6.5x284 will not take many steps even it takes one..check out the ballistics and compare them to your 270's...7 mags etc and you'll see it is not junk.. it's highly accurate and packs a good punch and either of those bullets will visit both sides of any elk.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Ive shared this many times my buddy i go west with has taken around 25 bull elk since 1978 with a 6mmx284 100 grain bullet. The last 2 i was with him and the terminal damage was like it was shot with a larger caliber. The one was taken at over 600 yards he hit 2 out of 3 and his shot placement wasnt the best due to it was moving and stil killed it. He is a very good shot even off hand and commented later to me that how efficient this caliber was due to his hits wasent the best. I have only killed one elk and it was with my wildcat 25 caliber 100 grain spitzer at 400 yards 1 shot. Do i think Pa. should change the caliber ? I could care less due to i will never hunt elk there but my point is its hard to beat my buddys 25 elk with a 6mm. First i need to hear from someone who has taken that many. But if your going to debate the min. i think Colorado knows what they are doing with elk and allows down to .243, should tell you something.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Outofstater, You & I both know that in the hands of a TRUE rifleman, you can use a lot lighter caliber. The state picks a arbitrary number out of the air, that the guy that sights his rifle in once a year & goes hunting can kill an Elk with.
I mean if I took a 222 case necked it up to 270 with a 130 gr bullet that would be legal, but a 264 mag is not. What sense does that make.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts