The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
You put a lot of time,money and effort into youth sports and it's easy to turn into one of "those" dads and I was guilty to a certain extent.My son is a decent athlete and loves baseball just for the game.He would literally have me at the cages 12 months of the year just because he loves to hit.I'd pick him up from wrestling practice and he'd drag me to the cages every night.I'd pick him up from baseball practice and he'd drag me to the cages.He did it because he was hard on himself and wanted to be good but he just loves to play.Adults flat out ruin it.When you have a travel team or all star team,you get 6 or 7 coaches and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what happens.Two years ago he was playing on a travel team that was essentially the 12 year old all star team.The coaches thought they were too good to play in local tournaments so we only traveled.One day another coach approached me to see if my son would play with his team.I said sure as long as it didn't impact his current team.This team only played local tournaments so there was no conflict.That coach went and asked one of his other coaches for permission,like my kid had some sort of contract with them.His one coach jumped me about it the next day and I said what's the problem with him playing another 12-15 games?He said,well the one tournament is during states so he'll miss it anyway.I just laughed and said,the way you're playing these kids,they won't even make it out of districts,which they didn't.The next all star game they benched my son for the entire game except for the one at bat they had to give him.If my kid deserved to sit,I woudn't have had a problem with it but they tried to use him to make a point to me.When my son came out of the dugout and I saw the look on his face,my blood pressure went up about 500 points.I'm embarrassed to this day about what I did but honestly,it was way past the time someone did something.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think MLB will get a 1/2 of season in with no fans or very little maybe have certain seating with distance in mind. I also think depending on how this virus plays out that the NFL may be pay per view a monthly fee or what not,limited fans in game with spacing rules. I think nothing will be the same till we get a vaccine for this,and much more testing to see who has what!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't miss it. In fact most of the seasons are too long anymore IMO. Football may be the exception, but they are trying to add games there too.

If they come back, the money should be used to help people, feed people, employ people. An owner or $20M a year person should not be the beneficiary....

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Don't miss it...but..I enjoy NHL....not into other pro entertainment....the nice thing about watching NHL is that most games were at night during the week ...so during the week I would catch a game or 2 or 3...weekends I would do other stuff.

dce bought back some great memories of my kids in sports and me coaching....and they definitely tromp the not so good. Soccer..baseball..football...Cheer competitions..Cross Country meets..Wrestling Tourneys..wish my kids were young again...cause as the song says...."Don't Blink...just like that..."

...aside from Cross Country...parents ruined all the other sports for me..the back-stabbing, pettiness, clicks, "living failed dreams" syndrome, ...I could go on.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have seen that both the NHL + NBA are running simulated games using Playstation(I think). These are not "played" by players sitting in their houses but run by the "system". They are even having the games called by the regular announcers. Which can be pretty entertaining at least the Flyers games I've watched... LOL

I assume the players and teams get money for allowing their names to be used by Playstation, granted it's not nearly as much. I'm sure that the same system could be "played" by every major sport that we normally enjoy. Not sure what would happen if in 10 years we are still stuck watching Todays players ... will "play" diminish with "aging" players... but hopefully we're back to normal before then.

IDK if the gambling industry could operate using simulated games or if they could "fix" games easier. However TV rights and ad money could still flow although depending on how many watched it may be diminished.... not sure how many people are buying stuff nowadays either !

·
Registered
289 Posts
DCE,

Pardon me if I say it sounds like you are "on your way to recovery" :). Hey, it's a hard thing all around. Parent's feel pressured. It's good to remember that youth travel are not so wildly profitable because they only appeal to the psychological needs of the kids-it's the parents as well. The pressure is incredible. You've been able to step back and look at all of it and go "that's crazy". Kudos.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The time my daughters spent in youth sports, including travel softball, were some of the best.

Lucky to have a great group of people, I guess a band of misfits in a way. The girls had a blast, improved their games, made lifelong friends. Many in each other's weddings in more recent times.

Youth sports were necessary to get my daughters to the level to play in college. But they also were a wonderful experience. And the team was solid. By the end we were playing a multi-state regional tournament schedule and collecting a lot of hardware

And I was not a "Daddy Ball" coach. I kept the scorebook for softball, I ran the timing console at swim meets. People who knew the sport coached. Once in a while for a softball game late in pool play on Saturday, they'd let me coach third base a few innings. I vividly remember my first squeeze bunt call that netted a run. Lots of nights in cheap hotels.

Too many parents deluded by dreams of scholarships, and everything but D1 football and basketball just does not work like that.

There are good travel teams and travel coaches out there. No egos involved.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts