The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught in McKean county 20lb female mount done by Randy kuntz. It's the cat in my avatar. Sorry about the poor cell phone pics.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It's not quite this:

or this

And it's not quite this:

or this

But I would put it right in the middle somewhere. I would probably never get a cat mounted myself because I don't want to spend the mega bucks it cost to have somebody to a great job on a bobcat. I would not be happy with a mount unless it looked like the bottom two.

Congrats on the Bobcat though. They are a great accomplishment, especially for the miles you had to travel to get yours.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
#17 your last pic is the one I gave Randy for the pose. I tried contacting wildlife artist studios to do mine for over a yr and even before I caught this one and never had any luck. Seems the guy buys the hides, builds his own forms and sells them on ebay. He does the by far the best cats that I have seen but I have read many many people's reviews and read many many comments of people complaining that thier product fell apart. So there may be something up with the studios products. Thier stuff looks great but as you can tell a pro photagrapher was taking the pics and he wasn't using a $80 cell phone camera. LOL But I do agree it's somewhere in the middle of your scale but I will say that it is the best bobcat mount I have seen in person and I've looked at a lot.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
It always seam to me that bobcats are something that not everyone can do a good mount. Most have the head/face/neck area not looking correct. To me they look like the neck is made to long.
Long beard yours came out pretty nice. Where in McKean county did you get it?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I was told by a well known taxi that you cant freeze dry any thing over 10 pounds.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
beaver boy said:
It always seam to me that bobcats are something that not everyone can do a good mount. Most have the head/face/neck area not looking correct. To me they look like the neck is made to long.
Long beard yours came out pretty nice. Where in McKean county did you get it?
I see alot of mounts that just don't look right or natural.But this guy did a decent job.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Fairchild, who did the cat on the log with the moss? Have a 30 lber to get done.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Overall the mount looks pretty good......but I have noticed on this mount, and on the one 4CGamechaser had done by Randy, that the nose looks odd on both of them.....almost like it is pulled up a little too high or something.....it just looks a little un natural to me..........but to be fair, I have seen a lot of cat mounts that are absolutely terrible......this is not one of them...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I too have heard of a cat done by wildlife-artist that fell apart. I have no idea what sort of tan he uses or if he uses dry preservative, but I know he wraps the bodies the old fashioned way. He goes by "wa" at tax-net.

I've been playing around with wrapped bodies, but I have either fully tanned the pelts, or done small stuff with wrapped body and boraxed hides and then frozen them still wet, then freeze dried them to dry.

So far I have done wrapped bodies of a grey fox, weasel, ermine, skunk, ranch fox pup, a small domestic dog, and a red fox. It takes forever to properly make the body LOL, at least so far.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Being a taxidermist myself I believe that you get what you pay for.MOST taxidermist strive to do the best job that they can and others strive to get as much work out the door to get their money. If you want good quality work sometimes it is worth waiting for. Longbeard if you are happy with your mount who cares what anybody else thinks about it, it's yours.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Its a decent mount.Alot better then most bobcat mounts I see.The left eye looks like its at a different angle then the right.bobcats seem to be real tough for taxi. to get to look lifelike.Mine is in the same category as yours;looks nice but could be a little better.I'm still happy with mine as you are with yours.I knew going in that they were difficult to recreate when compared to fox or yotes

1 - 20 of 31 Posts