The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the better options for a 1-48 twist barrel on a firestorm flinter. Can still shoot sabots or do I need to switch to Powerbelts
or Maxi Hunters? , I only have expierence with a 1-28 twist on my in-line and I shoot sabots now.

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
Owned same gun for about 5 years.

295 grain Powerbelt Aerotips & 370 grain TC Maxi's were my best 2 bullets. also tested the 385 Hornady Great Plains but they didnt group well at all.

I killed deer with both the 295 Powerbelt Aerotip & the 370 grin maxi. The 295 powerbelts performed much better on deer with decent expansion vs the cast 370 maxi's..

Too slow of twist for saboted 45 cal bullets imo.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have shot both and harvested Deer with both my Encore in-line and my Firestorm with several different loads/ bullet combinations. I really don't like T-C's Shockwave. Shot several deer with it and wasn't impressed with performance. My favorite hands down is 2 pellets of pyrodex and a Hornady 300 gr 45. cal XTP with a Harvester sabot. The 3 deer I shot with this load dropped where they stood. I have Shot approx 400 rds of various load/ bullet/ powder combinations out of each rifle. The only way to find out for sure what works for you is to experiment with your gun. The Most Important thing to do, and I can't stress this enough, is to load Exactly the same way Every Time. After the first shot I run a wet patch down the bore, turn it over, run it back down followed by a dry patch then reload. Even when hunting it doesn't take that long to do. But it is very important too do the same routine every time. Alos, it is Very Important after every shooting session CLEAN your gun thoroughly after every range session. Too many times I read on various forums of guys thinking that because they have a stainless Muzzleloader or that their using this Blackpowder substitute or that one, they don't have to worry about cleaning as well or right away. All blackpowder, Blackpowder substitues will corrode your gun. Good luck in finding what works for you. I find that it worth thr effort. Keep it Clean and consistant....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
295 Powerebelts- I took Loggy's advice

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Two 50gr pyrodex pellets and 295 aerotips for me as well. Works great in both my firestorm and my omega!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
check out the Thor conicals. Pricey, yes, but [censored] accurate and deadly! Ive shot them out of my fathers cabelas hawken 1:48 twist. They need a stronger powder charge ( 110gr Pyrodex RS) to group this tight.

This was at 100 yards.

This is at 100 too but with only 90gr RS. still hunting accuracy,

I just wish they came in smaller .498 and .499 sizes so i could use them in my cva sidelocks. They have tighter bores on them.

http://www.thorbullets.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts