The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having trouble with my lock on my T/C Hawkens,so I called them last thursday and they said to send the lock back ,I mailed it out last Friday,Well I got my lock back today, they rebuilt it,puting on a new hammer,sear, fly and tumbler.
I could not believe that I got it back so quick,fastest turn around I've ever seen from any company.
Thank T/C.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I agree.That,s why I buy from them and not Lyman,Traditions,etc.Did you buy your gun new and send in the warranty card when you bought it?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Quite a few years ago I was having problems with the lock on my Firestorm. It was either during or just prior to flintlock season. I called them and they completely understood that I didn't want to miss any of our two week flintlock season. They shipped me one out the next day, of course I had to give them a CC number in case I would have failed to ship my lock back to them but that was it. Exchange one for one no questions asked.

A+++ customer service as far as I'm concerned, one of the very best.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
TC is good about repairs and upgrades BUT you gotta send and wait.
Lyman I can take to Dixons and have it fixed in minutes.No charge.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun was bought in 1980,and the warranty was sent in.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
410-er said:
TC is good about repairs and upgrades BUT you gotta send and wait.
Lyman I can take to Dixons and have it fixed in minutes.No charge.
I must of been lucky only one week.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
not many people know but the records were destroyed at the main plant when t/c had there fire back in the 80's so in-return there is no question asked if it is t/c product they will repair or replace it

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Unfortunately, their early flint locks had a lot of problems. It was darn good for the customers that the warranty existed.

All things considered, I still put a CVA Mtn rifle up against a Tc Hawken any day for accuracy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just sent a Scout back today for a blowback problem. It would burn my face when I shoot it. I hope they take care of it and get it back soon. <>< del

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I don,t buy that.I got 2 friends that shoot a Renegade and a Hawken that are over 30 years old and have never had a single problem. And they hunt alot with their rifles.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Hubt alot? What 10 shots a year? I bought a TC hawken in 1977 and fired nearly a thousand shots the first year. went through 4 frizzens and about two months down time because of them. Whether you "buy it" or not, case hardened frizzens are JUNK! It is a cheap way to manufacture a frizzen out of mild steel. The threads here and on other muzzle loader site are repleat with notes about sending frizzens back and replacing frizzens. In fact TC recognized that their cocks weren't at the proper angle and changed them a few years ago. Most folks who shoot exclusively one production rifle don't even recognize problems because they have never experienced the way a proper flintlock is supposed to operate. If you can hear a separate click of the flint hitting the frizzen and then a separate boom, the gun is not firing as it could. A good flintlock goes off with one boom. Not click, shhhhhhh, boom. I have shot muzzleloaders competitively for 35 years and TC's just don't cut it in competition. actions are too slow, lock Geometry is off and the barrels just aren't that accurate. CVA rifles had better rifling and their Mountain rifle flintlocks had better steel and geometry. As a result, CVA's won more matches than Tc's. My brother still shoots the Hawken I got years ago. However, I fixed the biggest lock problem. I half soled the frizzen with proper steel.

There are several folks on this site who felt that way,,,, UNTIL they got a proper gun. It is like the difference between a moped and a Goldwing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Zimm.
Production guns that don't function properly have given the flintlock a reputation of poor reliability. Most guys don't know that a properly tuned flinter is 99.999% reliable.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
T/C locks are not a bad the first thing to do it get rid of there frizzens and replace it with a lyman,next there hammers are improved to scrape higher on the frizzen compared to the old ones that hit low.I also would recommend there new vent liners they are coned at .070 and never never use there flints.I can get up to 70 shots with tom fullet black english flints on my t/c flinters.I shoot about 300 rounds a year and can say with a new flint I never had a mis-fire,I also tried the lock upside down and she will still fire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
T/C certainly goes "above & beyond" for anyone who owns one of their rifles, for sure.

I bought a USED tang peep sight for my .54 Renegade & installed it last year - but this month, when I was going over the rifle for the Winter, I discovered that the front tang sight base machine screw had gone missing sometime during hunting season, allowing the sight to move sideways with very little nudging.

When I emailed T/C to purchase another screw - The cust service rep there emailed me back, saying a screw would be in the mail, gratis !

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
T/C,s service and reputation is second to none that is why they have my repeat business and will also get repeat business from friends of mine who have been well satisfied for over 30 years of huntin.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
good ole boy said:
I don,t buy that.I got 2 friends that shoot a Renegade and a Hawken that are over 30 years old and have never had a single problem. And they hunt alot with their rifles.

Same here..I once needed a new frizzen, and when I called T/C to inquire about one, they sent me one in the mail for free...

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
All things considered, I still put a CVA Mtn rifle up against a Tc Hawken any day for accuracy.
And if you can get the CVA to go off without falling apart in your hands, it just might.

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
Actually the new CVA is not the old CVA. When the old one came out with the Appollo in-line, that exploded, the company went through a bankruptcy. For the years from 1980 to 1995, they made the best production flinters on the market. Ever wonder where Tc customers would be without warranty repairs and why a US made Product requires repairs with such frequency??? In a car it would be called a Lemon.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts