The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking my new groundhoug rifle is going to be thompson center encore in the 22-250 / .220 swift caliber.

What is the difference between the regular encore and Pro Hunter?

Is it worth getting one of the custom made barrels for the encore?

Im thinking of buying the frame / stock / forend separate and orering a custom barrel.

any thoughts on factor accuracy in .22-250?

does anyone have one? how do they shoot / any problems with them?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ive got the 26 inch encore in 22-250 accurate as all [censored] but I do reload also have the 223 and its just as accurate. Cant say anything bad about them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool...ive heard the same thing. Do you have the pro hunter or the original? stainless or blued?

i also reload so thats not an issue.

thanks for the reply.

do you mind telling me what you paid for it as well?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks trout.

I saw on cheaperthandirt.com they have the stainless pro hunter frame, stock, and fore end for $350.

I'd like to add a .22-250 heavy barrel probably run about $250. So I be looking at around 600 total without scope

Seems cheap for a very accurate stainless rifle? .

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Are you going to put a bipod on it? Think about if you'll like trying to break open the rifle while its setting on the ground.

And you can pick up a rifle with good accuracy for 6 bills made by every manufacturer.

One other thought, if you think you might get any shots longer than 400 with any kind of regularity, I would choose something in the 6mm.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely I want a bipod... And your right I never thought about it with a break action with the bipod... Very good point.

What would you recommend? .243? Bull barrel Remington sps varmint? My usual shots are 200-300 but i get occasional 4-500 yards

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I have Encore 22250 in the 24 inch barrel...Just a plain old blue barrel. The Prohunter would have a fluted barrel on it to compensate for heat and they look nicer.. However of all my Encore barrels the 22250 24 inch is my favorite.
See normally 22250 have a rate of twist of 1:24. T/C Encore 22 calibers rate of twist is 1:22. I shoot 60 grain Partition Bullets with that little 24 inch encore barrel and it groups so nice!!!!
As far as Harris Bipods...I try not to use them because I missed an easy shot at a coyote once with a break open 24V. I stand when I shoot now... I use a Tripod that you can shoot standing for fox,chucks, coyotes, etc etc... Heck on the sitting on the ground or laying down thing. Yep a cheaper $248.00 barrel blued 22250 24 inch barrel is my favorite on my Encores!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i saw a .22-250 remington at dicks sporting goods the other day. all black synthetic stock, blued barrel, with a scope for 550. i belive it was the sps varmint? any info on those?

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
If it was my money I would buy the T/C. I have one with .22 and 50 cal MZ bbls Its a tack driver! I love the feel of the Encore trigers!

Koz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts