The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DCNR DMAP

This years DCNR DMAP areas are on the DCNR web site.
Last year, DMAP tags went on sale as soon as licenses went on sale. Just wanted pass this onto the memebers.
Shawn

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Thanks.

Closed the two DMAPs in the South Michaux Forest this year.

I picked two areas out though.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I picked out three, how many of them I even have a hope to make it too is really going to depend on how the season rolls.

Ive got a few trips planned to ohio, trips to other counties and five new areas locally to hunt.

With my schedule, I doubt I could pull it all off.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
dce said:
Moshannon state forest took every one of their units out of dmap.Wow.

"Habitat conditions continue to guide DCNR's DMAP participation. Moshannon State Forest District, for instance, withdrew from the program this year because of improved forest regeneration, previously impacted by deer. Susquehannock State Forest District withdrew two areas from DMAP participation after habitat improvement was noted."

Its about time Doug.... Hopefully we can get some of the herd to bounce back now

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
Thanks Todd.Last year they took all but one unit out of dmap in Moshannon state forest.That unit 1318 is right by my house.I'm kinda surprised they took that unit out altogether because there was a very high harvest rate in that unit and no shortage of deer.In 2008,I killed two doe in that area and saw loads of deer and no other hunters.In fact,the first day of rifle season I spent the entire day trying to push deer to my buddy and he saw 30+
deer,including 4 different bucks.I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing.My wife and I took the kids to Parker dam state park on memorial day and took a long ride around that part of Moshannon state forest.I really haven't spent much time back there in a couple of years and was amazed at how the habitat was recovering.It does go to show that DCNR doesn't want all the deer dead.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
308 ruger said:
Was 1318 on Caledonia pike in clearfield county?
No that was over by Penfield.

Im so happy the wholesale state forest slaughter is over there. Hopefully the herd will rebound in a few years. It will be nice to see some deer again.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Not much rebound over our way Doug.I did find a nice clearcut in gobbler with loads of oaks,maples and sassafras.Plenty of good browse in that cut.I didn't get too much of a chance to scout it but I'll let you know what the sign looks like.I'm betting not too good because the access is very easy so I'm thinking it gets hammered in rifle season.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, they won't sell out until the PGC enters all of the DCNR Dmap numbers into the database. I tried to purchase my license and DMAP on-line. 2012 hunting license is there but some of the DMAP numbers are not. I double checked these numbers on the DCNR website, but get a message from PALS to enter a correct number.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yup me to shut out. not cool only having some areas in the system. Not like they needed more time they had a whole year to get it set up.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I see Gallitzen State Forest, DMAP 931 (my back yard) is continuing it's overharvest of deer. It's funny though, you can't even find a deer in the DMAP area but the hunting is not that bad outside of it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts