The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Came across this video just now. Its obvious the person who made the video is either ignorant, uneducated or both. He's clueless to the fact that the design of those types of bullets uses an over sized bearing band or bands to seal the bore, along with the lubing, so no patch material is required. You don't use patching for conical bullets. such as the maxi ball, maxi hunter, or LEE REAL bullet. So if you are new to muzzleloading, do your homework, and stay away from videos like this.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
how do you load it with a patch anyway ??....lol

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
ok I see how, a .45 in a .50 .54 ??, wow and he didn't even show how with a rifle, LOL....

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I don't get it, what's the problem???

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Came across this video just now. Its obvious the person who made the video is either ignorant, uneducated or both. He's clueless to the fact that the design of those types of bullets uses an over sized bearing band or bands to seal the bore, along with the lubing, so no patch material is required. You don't use patching for conical bullets. such as the maxi ball, maxi hunter, or LEE REAL bullet. So if you are new to muzzleloading, do your homework, and stay away from videos like this.

Perhaps you can explain how oversized bearing bands seal a .451 bullet in a .50 barrel. Cotton paper patching bullets has been around for well over 100 years and was the inspiration for modern plastic sabots. Usually people that figure out how to make something work are smarter than those that never tried it and say it can't be done!

Reactions: bad primer

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I have used light/thin patches with Pa. Conicals and other bullits.

Why? Because a bullit can come off the charge when walking with the muzzle down, or a bump to the gun. A light patch or paper patch snugs the bullit up a bit in the rifling.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps you can explain how oversized bearing bands seal a .451 bullet in a .50 barrel. Cotton paper patching bullets has been around for well over 100 years and was the inspiration for modern plastic sabots. Usually people that figure out how to make something work are smarter than those that never tried it and say it can't be done!
I'm not talking about undersized bullets, and I doubt the person who created the video is either...........Besides, why would you shoot an undersized maxi ball? Why? These bullets were designed to be fired as sized. If they were not, then why do they have oversized bearing bands which engrave to the rifling upon loading> Your response makes no sense.......

And as to a maxi ball moving off a powder charge, a real simple answer to that exists. Fire a weak squib load beforehand to soot the barrel and it will normally hold the ball in place. Try it.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I'm not talking about undersized bullets, and I doubt the person who created the video is either...........Besides, why would you shoot an undersized maxi ball? Why?
Pretty strong criticism calling the guy ignorant and uneducated when it is you that doesn't understand the video. He CLEARLY states that this is for shooting a 45 caliber conical in either a 50 or 54 bore and specifically he is doing it for his 54. In other words a cloth sabot to avoid the plastic buildup in the barrel. Why? I guess the question is why not. LOTS of people shoot sabots. What do you use to avoid plastic buildup? If a 45 maxiball will work out of 45 bore and you also want to use them out of your 54, why not. Enlighten us as to why this is stupid or dangerous or whatever the reason is for criticizing it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And a BB would work too I guess if you put enough patching around it. But what is the point? Whatever, I'm done arguing. Troll some other thread pal.

·
Administrator
28,693 Posts
From the comments on the actual YouTube page:

sean cochran
1 year ago
why not just get a .500 conical mold

ShootingHobby
1 year ago
Mostly I was shooting the .54 caliber rifle which I don't have a mold for. I did have a mold for .45 maxi balls and happen to have picked up a lot of .45 cal stuff cheap at a garage sale. Also the .45 caliber ammo will shoot with slightly better ballistics then .50.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
yeah why go through the trouble to patch a bullet that don't need to be IF used in the proper cal gun ??....

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah why go through the trouble to patch a bullet that don't need to be IF used in the proper cal gun ??....
Exactly my point. In the case of a maxi ball, the only reason it seems to me the guy in the video mentioned patching was because he didn't want to either buy the proper sized conicals, or the correct sized mold to make them for his .54 caliber gun. And to then post a video showing methods to patch rounds that really aren't meant to be patched, IMO, was just tossing out bad information to those who may not know better. Its one thing to buy undersized modern type muzzleloading projectiles that were designed from the start to utilize a plastic wad to take up the space, and its another thing altogether to try and adapt a round that wasn't designed for patching.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
if someone does not experiment with things we would still be cavemen...................:grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts