The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this last year and would love for you all to read it again. I believe in my words and what they are capable of. Enjoy everyone!

This Love of Mine

I look back on it all and I can't help but find myself smiling. I'm just a twenty-something year old kid but I have to set myself apart from most. I believe with all my heart I've got a lot of things figured out that others remain in ignorance to. Perhaps it's just my feelings. It's quite possible we are all more alike then we know and I'm only choosing to look from a different angle but that idea doesn't seem to drown my thoughts the way others do. I know their are many who share some of my thoughts, ideas and opinions. I know their are many who don't.

Hello, my name is Shane. I'm twenty-four years old and I'm in love. It's really quite amazing. I'm stopping you all right here. Please wipe your feet before you enter. My heart seems to work much better without the negativity so many of you seem to surround yourself with. Thank you very much. Let me start by saying I'm not perfect. In fact I'm very, very far from it. I like it that way. It keeps things interesting. I'm awkward and a bit strange but read what I am about to write anyways. So far in my short life I have determined only two things. I am a born hunter. Secondly, I may very well be the worst procrastinator you'll ever meet or talk to.

I'm writing this whole thing out of nowhere. My fingers are just sort of working at the mercy of my wandering mind. I would like to write a little bit about what I feel being a "born hunter" is. I in no way associate the word hunter with the word killer. I don't believe one supports the other. At least not in my logic. Being a hunter to me simply means that either you've acquired the greatest appreciation for nature you can or you will continue at every moment possible to obtain this appreciation. By nature, I'm referring to this world we live in and everything alive under its great skies. I'm imagining most of you are thinking of the pursuit of an animal when I mention the word hunting. Well, that my friends is somewhere near the other end of this spectrum. At every moment in my life, I find myself hunting. I'm hunting for truth, ideas, understanding, love, compassion, reasoning, etc...

Why am I sharing this with all of you? First, I think there's one or two of you on this site who might actually still be reading this as I write this sentence. Secondly, and most importantly is because that when I find myself hunting for these things I've previously mentioned I always seem to take the biggest strides while surrounded by nothing but the wilderness. I like to call it, "God's good doing." Everything that was once so opaque seems to become so transparent while I'm there. It doesn't ever seem to matter whether their is a bow or rifle in my hands. Just so long as I'm there. Did I mention I'm in love? How could I not be. I seem understand this place a little bit and it understands me quite a lot. It's where I feel I belong. So far in my life the word beautiful has been reserved for this place. Only, this one place. The one thing I can rely on to comfort me when I can find refuge nowhere else. I can look up and all around from anywhere and know with all my heart that my love will not be denied passage. When it smiles back at me I can't help but digest all of it. I can't go without it. My God, where have you been?

I tend to stray at times and find myself consumed by the thoughts and worries of my fellow sportsmen. All of the complaining, praise, concern, etc all find their place inside this head of mine. I sometimes begin to worry myself. There's one important belief I have never strayed from and that is, what is meant to be will be. I've related that belief to a lot of things in my life and firmly believe that to be the only reason I can press on at times. It's something bigger then all of us. It's something we should all in my opinion come to realize sooner then later.

If our arrows and bullets are meant to connect with the creatures we take aim upon then it will be done. I think I've said enough to stress the fact that hunting to me has nothing to do with blood being spilled upon the ground. My smile does however seem to widen a bit when this is the outcome. It widens even more when I can see someone obtain the true meaning of why we should be in the woods. Especially when this information is instilled at a young age.

I do love the chase. I do love the rewards no matter how they come. If I fill my tag that's an added bonus. If by some chance you are all thinking that I just go in the woods and sit with my legs crossed on the ground you are mistaken. I am a scouting maniac in regards to the majestic white-tailed deer. I love to at least try and outsmart my quarry. I love to pick it's brain without it knowing. I love all of God’s creatures and respect them each on different levels. Whether it’s a giant grizzly bear or an elusive grouse. They all have my respect and concern.

I suppose I’m hoping that some of you will find comfort in my words. I’m praying that the next time you're out hunting and you don’t see a thing you can still smile as you walk out of the woods. I’m hoping you can find some type of counterbalance to every negative thought on your mind and know that what will be will be. I’m asking that every time you step into the woods you are able to experience gains rather then losses. If you try and take something positive from every trip a field then you would never leave empty handed. If you pass this tradition on to someone living in ignorance then to you I say Amen and God bless. You will then be able to smile and know that you have done your part to keep our future safe. With these morals and ethics I can’t see how everything else won’t fall into place.

·
Super Moderator
28,386 Posts
I remember that from last year, Dude. Great post

·
Registered
356 Posts
I believe most folks on this forum share your feelings, I know I do. Great reading your thoughts!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I appreciate what you wrote ... As a boy my dad attempted to instill this in me ... we had some good times. As a teenager I drifted away. He's gone now and I'm grown and I have two boys of my own and two sons-in-law ... I'm returning to the woods with them so that we can rediscover what you are expressing. Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words very much. I realize a lot of people will probably read this and not understand it or just say to themselves, "the heck with that," but it was written for those of you who might take something from it.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
The ones who understand that you can be successful without killing? You betcha!

·
Registered
737 Posts
No matter your age,you can learn something new every hunt.
The challange,to be able to see your game a few times without it even knowing your there.And the ultimate piece it brings to ones soul,can't be beat.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SpiritNugent said:
The ones who understand that you can be successful without killing? You betcha!
That, and especially the ones who understand and appreciate just how special this place is. The one's who don't take it for granted.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for posting it again. I just joined this year so i never got the chance to read that. You bring up alot of great points. "What is meant to be, will be". That is exactly it. I'm in a situation right now where telling myself that really helps. You say sometimes that's the only thing that keeps you going, is to tell yourself that. I couldn't agree more. Again, thanks for posting.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
missed these two newest replies....lol...thank you again DJB66 and for the first time Bowtech21....hehehehehe

1 - 20 of 26 Posts