The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But, does anybody have the steps to changing rear brakes on a 2007 Honda Rincon ? Are there any quirky "gotcha's" ?

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I did. Really didn't turn anything up at all. Which was surprising. Or... I'm too daffy to properly search YouTube.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
woodswalker, I can't get those links to open. Might be because of my work firewall ?

JoeG, not sure if they changed design from 05 to 07, but I'll watch the vid to get an idea. I picked up the brakes today.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Just tear it down and figure it out as you go! Piece of cake!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Just copy the links and try it them your search engine.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did them yesterday. Just figured I'd rip it apart and figgie it out. Sure enough, there was a "gotcha". As you do with disc brakes, you have to get the piston retracted back so you're able to slip the caliper back on. Well, I got a clamp, started turning, and the piston would not budge a smidge. I'm thinking it's seized up in there, but it looked pristine. Then I thought maybe the fluid wasn't getting to the caliper, so I tore all the lines off, and pulled the caliper. It was full of fluid, so just as I was about to order a new caliper, I had an epiphany (which is rare for me). The end of the piston was slotted, like in a cross pattern. I got a wide wood chisel, stuck it in a slot, and sure enough, the piston started to turn back in. The dang thing was threaded. I NEVER came across one that was threaded, that was a first.

The little rotor on the ATV is centered above both rear axles, so there is only one brake that operates both wheels, and only one set of pads. BUT, one set of pads, which are only about a couple inches long and wide, were $43. WOW ! They get ya comin' and goin' on those machines, cuz they know you can't go to NAPA and get them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts