The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
Thats a far poke for most with a rifle.Second shot with a revolver.Don't know how many practice shots were taken or how the video was edited though.If you shoot enough rounds you will hit at some point.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerry has been doing improbable shots for quite some time. I also heard he knows his way around handguns and shoots just a little bit more than most.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good ole boy said:
I got some ocean front property I can sell ya too.
So you would feel safe standing at the plate while Jerry lobbed a couple at ya from a thousand?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
He and Elmer Keith should have teamed up. Must have used alot of editing to get that one. Offhand with a 9MM at 1000 yards= BULL****!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
just like the thread going on over in the waterfowl section, if they haven't ever done it or if it isn't the way they do it, lots of guys on here do nothing but BMC.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
He said he was aiming 80 yards above the target. who cares how many trys it took him, he still did it. The guy does nothing but get paid to be better than any of us at shooting guns haha. I have no doubt it was real.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Ever read about Billy Dixon at the battle of Adobe Walls. Took a flyer at an Indian on a horse with a borrowed Sharps rifle and hit the brave at 7/8 of a mile. Quannah Parker, was with the Indian and claimed the bullet hit a rock and bounced up into the Indian's thigh. Dixon admitted it was a "scratch shot" Regardless of who was later interviewed, they all agreed on the distance and that the Indian was struck by the bullet.

At the Battle of Saratoga, Tim Murphy climbed a pine tree with his long rifle and shot the British general off his horse. It took three of four shots, but is reported to have been 438 yds distance by some accounts.

The wind, humidity, temperature and thermoplanes at 1,000 yds means it could only have been a combination of some skill with a lot of luck.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He probably shoots more rounds per weekend than 90% of pa hunters shoot in a year. The guy does this kind of stuff for a living.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Elmer Keith finished off a wounded mule deer at 600 yards with his .44 mag. He wrote how he walked the shots in, but he still did it. Could YOU do it? Ive made some ridiculously long shots with my own .44s and I would consider myself a very good shot, but I am nothing ever dreamed the kind of shot like him or Jerry Miculek...not in my lifetime. Some folks just have to be the sceptic I guess...

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Well I must say I would want to of seen it. I shoot 1000 yard target mainly milk jugs. I shoot a full custom 338 Edge with 5.5x22 nightforce scope off of a bench, etc. I probably miss more than I hit but my misses are close enough for elk kill. Don't care to doubt a fellow shooters word but I want to see.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I for one am skeptic. If you have any experience at shooting 1k yards its a different animal. Im shooting a 300 gr. matchking with a BC over 700 out of a 28" pipe. Knowing his barrel length which would reduce velocity big time and such a lower bc bullet to fly. Than shooting off hand, ill pay 100.00 for a front row seat.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ever watch what 22Plinkster can do with a 22 pistol and rifle? Guy can consistently hit a man size steel target at I want to say 500 yards with a ruger 10/22.

·
Registered
666 Posts
"An avid shooter, Jerry holds numerous national and world shooting titles:

Seven time USPSA 3-Gun National Championship
Four time USPSA Multi-gun National Championship
Four time 2nd Chance Bowling Pin Champion
1997 and 2007 American Handgunner World Shoot-Off Champion (The only person ever to win this title with a revolver.)
Twenty time International Revolver Champion
Member of seven time winning pro team at the Sportsmans Team Challenge
Eight time USPSA National Revolver Champion
Three time Masters International Long Gun Champion
Two time International Practical Shooting Confederation World Revolver Champion
Ten time IDPA Enhanced Service Revolver Champion
One time Bianchi Cup NRA World Action Pistol Metallic Champion"

Yeah, this guy obviously needs to [censored] us with a fake YouTube video to make his career complete. Oh, and before this latest one, he already had 4 world records.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I'm calling "bull****" on this one too.

There's no doubt that given enough time and ammo a guy could break the balloon at 1000 yards. And maybe Jerry did it. But NOT like the video showed.

Realize that just within the velocity standard deviation of his ammo there is a difference of nearly 100 inches of drop at 1000 yards.

Realize that the wind was moving the balloon when he was standing beside it before the shot. Was the wind 1 mph, 2 mph or 3 mph ?? There's over 30 inches of wind drift difference at 1000 yards for EACH mph of wind.

Realize that in the video, there is roughly 2 seconds between the shot and the balloon breaking. Realize also that it takes a 9mm bullet over 4 1/2 seconds to go that far.

I'm not saying he didn't do it.

I am saying that the video is outrageously misleading and bordering on laughable. I wasn't born yesterday.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts