The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-weight: bold">Yesterday 1 caught my 1st. 49 lb male. He's getting tanned.

And today #2. 48 lb female.

Also, went to the furpost today. 1 beaver- $45.00, 8 rats, 3 @ $8.00, 5 @ $7.00 and 1 coon, $9.00. Not too bad of a day $113.00. Cutt </span>

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
you do realize that beavers have no visible sex organ to distinguish the two untill you skin them ? either way good job catching them

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I would assume he skinned both of them first, then poked around while removing the castors/oil glands. The doodle bone is easy to find once skinned. That's how I sex them!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
foxtrapperwoman said:
I would assume he skinned both of them first, then poked around while removing the castors/oil glands. The doodle bone is easy to find once skinned. That's how I sex them!
that would be how to tell ,however i was figuring he sold the whole since one was caught yesterday and he already sold .

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dietsch said:
you do realize that beavers have no visible sex organ to distinguish the two untill you skin them ? either way good job catching them
Dietsch, my taxi skinned #1 and fur buyer skinned #2. Trust me, I had no idea how to tell them apart, Cutt

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Don't male beaver tails look different from females? Females narrow, males broad? Females a bit straighter down the side? Thats what the beaver man told me then showed me on the ones we got last season.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
this isn't science or anything but sometimes i can tell an old female by a high "hip bone" i guess from having kits. when they are on there back it sticks up higher than on a male sometimes but its not 100% but you can feel the testicles on a big male through the hide just above the castor sacks. but much easier to tell when skinned.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bob Jamison said:
I'm with Bobcat on this one. Cutt, I assume you sold to Stanford? That's mighty good bucks for a beaver! Wow!
Bob, yes it was Jim. He's a good guy. He'll take the time to bs with you, answer any question you might have and from I understand he's very good to the young trappers.

Beaglador Rtrvr said:
Is that $45 in the round you got for them? Skinned? What?
Everything was in the round. Cutt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts