The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Oh wow a crooked pgc employee , who would have ever believed it possible.
I just read the article. Where does it say he did anything "crooked"? Doesn't appear that he broke any laws of any kind.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
With the attention given the complaints, if there was any legitimacy to the charges he would be gone or so charged. He hasn't been.

Charges are one thing - validity of the charges another.

Point blank, there is not one agency in Pennsylvania that would not hire him to handle land and mineral issues in a heartbeat. Beyond the gas issues he is responsible for to the GC, he has been the catalyst for many other land issues and additions.

It is also very true that the no surface agreements the GC has with drillers runs back to Capouillez. As does the GC receiving the highest royalty rates of any government agency in the state. Nearly double what other agencies get.

He delivers consistently for the GC and sportsmen be it gas or mineral issues, land deals and land swaps and or donations.

This is an old story having begun some four or five years ago. My guess is the court case provided new fodder.

In the end, my guess is he will leave the GC and sportsmen will be for the worse of it.

Until then, the state will continue to investigate charges and take any required legal action if warranted. So far, it appears that has not been required.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Do you thnk it may be that he helps landowners get the most they can for drilling companies who resent that fact?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bluetick said:
With the attention given the complaints, if there was any legitimacy to the charges he would be gone or so charged. He hasn't been.

Charges are one thing - validity of the charges another.

Point blank, there is not one agency in Pennsylvania that would not hire him to handle land and mineral issues in a heartbeat. Beyond the gas issues he is responsible for to the GC, he has been the catalyst for many other land issues and additions.

It is also very true that the no surface agreements the GC has with drillers runs back to Capouillez. As does the GC receiving the highest royalty rates of any government agency in the state. Nearly double what other agencies get.

He delivers consistently for the GC and sportsmen be it gas or mineral issues, land deals and land swaps and or donations.

This is an old story having begun some four or five years ago. My guess is the court case provided new fodder.

In the end, my guess is he will leave the GC and sportsmen will be for the worse of it.

Until then, the state will continue to investigate charges and take any required legal action if warranted. So far, it appears that has not been required.
Bt

I guess I guess I see it from the standpoint of the PGC having complete autonomy. Most government institutions would never allow something like this to be happening.
Could someone with the same title working for DCNR be allowed to do what this guy is doing? Absolutely not!

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
End of the day there are the ethics laws and commission of the state. Regardless of the agency or state office / activity - these laws apply. From the article and elsewhere before, as this is not a new issue, no one has found any ethics violation.

It is what it is. Personally, I would rather it not be occurring either. It does have the look of impropriety. however, that said, the law is the law. If the IG and or the Ethics Commission have no issues - all we have left is subjective and personal opinion.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Great piece of investigative journalism!
Not really? Not the first media coverage of it, either.

Also fairly common knowledge 'mongst those that keep an eye on the Game Commission folks and goings-on in the gas lease news.

Not saying it's right or wrong, merely pointing out that there have been previous articles published about his dealings with lease holders.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
The guy is a first class wizard at handling both land deals on additional SGL acreage and negotiating good terms for drilling on PGC lands. Such as the "no footprint" deals, where SGLs don't actually have well pads, but PGC benefits from the gas beneath them being tapped.

He's been an asset to the agency for years, whether his "side deals" look good to his critics, or not?

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
most definitely!! Very fortunate to have him...

I imagine the State has been looking at him for a while and haven't found anything yet... He is doing something right and extremely successful!! More power to him!!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Seems ok to me. Sounds like the club that sued him just got more greedy and wanted all the loot for themselves

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
So lets say the guy was a carpenter for the PGC, does that mean he couldnt do carpentry outside the PGC? This is what the guy does, if he can make himself rich by doing it, more power to him!

·
Registered
463 Posts
He claims that he can separate his knowledge and dealings of his Commonwealth work with his consulting work. Not sure I buy that, but, more power to him. He has had to defend his work and has been found not in violation of any unethical behavior, but when I worked for the Commonwealth I had to divest ALL of my earned stocks and such before taking the position. Even though I would not be dealing with the company whose stocks I owned. I was hired and had to have 8-10 years experience for the job. Since I worked in the industry, I had some stocks from a retirement plan with my former company.
All that being said, this is old news that has been known in the Commonwealth for some time by those who have to sign the ethics paperwork.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pretty shady stuff. He is absolutely exploiting the knowledge gained through his PGC dealings with the gas companies to make money. And tons of it. The only reason he knows exactly where they want to put wells and how much they will pay is because of his dealings with them as a PGC employee. It's not a guessing game when he solicits customers. He knows the areas where he will make money and whose doors to knock on.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I met Bill over 5 years ago, had some conversations with him, and attended one of his seminars. He knew his stuff about NG leasing back then, when most had no clue what they were dealing with. He was very good back then at making the PGC good deals, as well as private land owners, and certainly did well for himself along the way.
Keep in mind, on the private side, he deals with large tract's of land comprised of several land owners. So whether he is negotiating for a large tract of PGC land, or private land, he learns something with each deal. It is not a one way street, the knowledge he obtains is all put toward the next deal, be it PGC or private.
I am not saying that what he is doing is not a "gray" area, but several examples can be given for either side.....and have been.
As far as the club in Lycoming County, I have seen the same type of remorse around here. People signed the lease, all happy with it. Then a few years down the road they change there mind and want a better deal.......buyers remorse kind of thing. You can't blame Bill for that. He was up front about his deal, and his percentage of the deal when he spoke around here. To be honest, his percentage of the royalty's was what kept me from signing with him.
He also never mentioned the PGC , or the fact that he worked for them when speaking to me, or during the seminar I attended, so he wasn't using his job as a prop back then.
To summarize, I believe he has helped the PGC get better leases, helped private land owners get better leases, and certainly helped his own net worth along the way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts