The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
6,425 Posts
The buck I shot this year started to grow an antler in the center of his skull but it was the size of a button buck. Never killed a buck with a third main beam, I’ll have to add that to my bucket list. Between a third main beam buck and the elusive natural 6x6, I’m never going to be able to retire from hunting.

· Registered
4,303 Posts
The buck I shot this year started to grow an antler in the center of his skull but it was the size of a button buck. Never killed a buck with a third main beam, I’ll have to add that to my bucket list. Between a third main beam buck and the elusive natural 6x6, I’m never going to be able to retire from hunting.
Look, just put me on those mediocre buck you are finding and that will free you up to chase those bucket list bucks Larry. I'm happy to help you out!!

· Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll have to add that to my bucket list. Between a third main beam buck and the elusive natural 6x6, I’m never going to be able to retire from hunting.
I think you can do anything you set your mind to, young man. :)

What was your buck this year? Was it a 5x5 with forked brows? That was a **** nice buck. Buck of a lifetime. I'm still trying to get my first 5x5. And I shot a 4x4 this year, so maybe next year. :D

· Registered
556 Posts
I was hunting a particular buck a few years back. During rifle season, I had scoped a different buck with 3 main beams... one of them went downward and circled back behind his head. I was so focused on my target buck that I didn’t realize how awesome this buck was. Dang it.

· Super Moderator
8,281 Posts
Bucks with a branch coming off of the main beam typically happens when a buck injures and splits the main beam early in the growth process when it is just starting to grow.

Bucks that have an antler growing directly out of the skull are usually a result of a buck with a skull injury it is trying to heal at the same time it developing its antlers. Sometimes the body grows a small antler from the skull while in the healing process.

Bucks that have a broken bone on one side its body while it is growing its antlers will typically have a deformed antler on the opposite side of the body from the broken bone.

Dick Bodenhorn

· Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I was told that if a buck experiences a “dirty shed “ ( a piece of skull breaks away and is attached to the shedding antler ), that the buck , if he survives, will grow a deformed antler on that side.

I posted a pick of a snaggely looking buck. A couple years before I killed it, in the same location, I found a really long shed spike, with a bit of skull attached. I believe it came from that buck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts