The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking, which isn't always a good idea. We add beads for flash and weight, we add copper wire, add lead wire, split shot, etc all to get the nymphs down. Has anyone tried tinning a hook with solder or making a "bead" with a drop of solder? If so, did you have any success? What do you long time tiers think? I'm new to tying my own, but as I said, just thinking outside the box.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Might have a problem getting a good taper with it if u put it on the whole hook shank....boby taper is a key in fly tying

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get yourself some tungsten beads... they are heavier than any drop of lead solder you can add to a hook. when i add copper wire to my flies its more for durability than anything and the tungsten beads and lead underbody are as heavy as you can make a nymph. In all reality what I am getting at is a tungsten bead a lead underbody is maximum weight unless you add some shot to your line. Lead solder just seems like a waste of time to get less weight than what is possible.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
The heat may soften or make brittle the hook wire. If you use heavy hooks, lead wire and/or beads, you can probably get them just as heavy with less work.
That said, give it a try. One of the best things about tying for yourself is the experimenting it allows.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
A hook with a ball of lead on it is known as a jig head.

There are a few companies producing soft tungsten bodies that you can lash to the hook with thread. They are both tapered and segmented.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Re: Thinking outside the box. Is this a crazy idea

Lick Islander said:
Not that that's a bad thing though, right? A jighead with some marabou tied on is a pretty effective jig, errrr streamer. I've done that and caught trout.

That probably isn't allowed in flyfishing only areas, though, because of the prohibition against "molded" bodies. But anywhere else you could use them.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Tungsten beads! nothing heavier than tungsten

·
Registered
8,072 Posts

troutbert said:
Lick Islander said:
That probably isn't allowed in flyfishing only areas, though, because of the prohibition against "molded" bodies. But anywhere else you could use them.
That is correct. Boy did I get a scolding. I never knew that they were illegal. I couldn't believe that just because it had a molded head it was contraban.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts