The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 16 acres in NW PA, that I am considering getting logged, being mostly maple, cherry, ash, some poplar. I was wondering if prices were good now, or should I wait. Also does anyone know any good foresters to consult in Erie County?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There was a thread on this website about a month or two ago that had several good timber buyers in PA...You should get several quotes from different buyers because one of them was paying alot better then the others.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
TimberPro.. I sent you a PM also. I have some woods that I want to do something with..

Glenn

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unless you absolutely have to log it now, I would WAIT!!!
Lumber prices are currently falling and is affecting stumpage prices.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
What were you selling?

I hear #1 Red Oak logs have moved back up to around $.75/ft and #1 Soft Maple logs are around $.60/ft. Heard blocking was up as well.

I'll say one thing for using a logger, you get the full footage out of the tree vs a forester that estimates on a Doyle scale(some use different scales but they're all pretty close). In my experience, the difference has been around 15-20%.

·
Banned
444 Posts
RRoae... I work in Scribner form class 78... Gave up on Doyle years ago...Why give away 35 % on paper. Been doing this for a lot of years...If you are any good, with Scribner you will be within 10%. After that it becomes just how much blocking did the logger bring out.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
You're not Scott Pettite by chance?

Doyle, Scribner,...I can never figure it out. I know on paper using Doyle, I average 220 ft on nice 20" trees. I know I get a lot more when I have them cut and sold as logs.

I'm looking for land right now. Expecting timber prices to trend up over the next couple of years.

Good luck on your end.

Rex

·
Banned
444 Posts
rroae.. No, I'm not Scott Pettit...I am Scott Seibert, AA Forestry and Wildlife Service, form Utica PA. Scott Pettit is a good guy, with lots of knowledge, but is not a forester. If you ever want to get together, contact me.. I can teach you....Best Scott

·
Registered
452 Posts
Weaber logged my dad's property about 4 years ago. He got, what he considered to be, fair prices from them. It was a group of loggers from Tioga county that actually came and did the logging, then they had a Weaber truck come in and haul it. I'm sorry, but I cannot remember prices, although 4 years ago I'd imagine was much better than now anyway. They left the tops, which was fine by us since we heat with wood. My dad doesn't post on here, but I know he was happy overall with the profit and the work they did. The one thing I will say is that if you have a standing tree along a road, they are likely to not touch it due to liability concerns, unless it is CLEARLY leaning in the "right" direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts