The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a compound now and I like it and have killed deer with it. Anyway don't know much about crossbows. I have heard to get a "good one" the term used by the clerk at the local archery shop you need to either by an Excalibur or Ten Point. Well I glanced at the prices and the crossbows they had were $899 and up. Again do not know anything about them but are they all that expensive?

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
If you are looking for a budget minded bow then I would look at the Wicked Ridge line. They are made by Tenpoint in the USA and come with great customer service. I think they start out around $400.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again just dipping my toe in the water on this one. Thanks for the info I will check them out. Am I thinking correctly comparing a cross bow to a rifle. Where as I could spend X for a economy rifle or I could spend X on a rifle with a checkered wood stock, bluing on the barrel, monte carlo stock. I don't need bells and whistles, just a solid performer.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Look at Parker. Lifetime warranty. Excellent Crossbow out of the box. Just remember, 20 clicks equal 1 inch when sighting it in. Shorter distance than a Rifle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought an older Ten Point in used but not abused condition for a fair price. About a year later, the safety mechanism failed and would not release the arrow. Ten Point fixed it for free!

If I were looking for a new crossbow, I'd likely buy a Wicked Ridge unit. They're built by Ten Point.

Horton built crossbows for many years but replacement parts for some models are not available.

TR

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
How about the Excalibur Axiom package?I,ve heard good reviews and they are priced around WR pricing.I,m considering one myself cause I favor the recurve design.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wicked ridge is hard to beat nice trigger, very accurate, good price, solid reputation. look for package deal with quiver ,bolts,scope

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
BamBam said:
Again just dipping my toe in the water on this one. Thanks for the info I will check them out. Am I thinking correctly comparing a cross bow to a rifle. Where as I could spend X for a economy rifle or I could spend X on a rifle with a checkered wood stock, bluing on the barrel, monte carlo stock. I don't need bells and whistles, just a solid performer.
think of it more like comparing a new Matthews to a
walmart starter kit.

also depends on how you will use it and how often.
take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWQ7e6WipGU

·
Registered
393 Posts
I ended up with a Wicked Ridge Invader HP a couple years ago. I had it narrowed to WR and Excalibur. I shot both, and I chose the WR. Can't go wrong with either brand, though. They each have models at similar price points.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts