The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing a turkey gun. I'm between a benelli SBE, beretta a400, and a browning Maxus. What are some opinions. I've heard the the benelli's occasionally have an issue with the slide not going all the way forward.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Love my 870 with a pure gold .670 and long beards. More than enough for turkeys and alot cheaper than the others than yoy can spend on other stuff. Dont have to worry about the bolt not going into battery also.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I've got an m2(now my dedicated turkey gun), a SBE II, and an ultralight. I've never had one not go bang when I needed it to. Easy to tear down and clean, tough as nails, and ultra reliable. What's not to love?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
if you really want one of those go for it but If its strictly for turkey, not worth the $. Now if its multi purpose say waterfowl id do it.
I've owned many shotguns and guns.Those you mentioned are all great fowl guns. I have a 20" barrel 870 rigged up for turkey and its perfect. Handy, light, quiet. Tons of accessory's cheap.
for fowl i shoot the new a5 now, my sbe2 was a lemon. It happens. My super nova is clunky for turkey, heavy to. win 1300 ive shot alot of turkeys with but its a 28" barrel and not camo. Extras are harder to find. the 835 kicks like a mule but throws the best pattern.

JMO, Good luck!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Any gun can throw a great pattern. I wouldn't say the 835 throws the best. If you want the quickest, easiest way to a turkey killing pattern, the 835 is probably it. Not necessarily the best though. What makes you say the benellis aren't worth the money for a turkey gun?

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
BOOTOXEN said:
if you really want one of those go for it but If its strictly for turkey, not worth the $. Now if its multi purpose say waterfowl id do it.
I've owned many shotguns and guns.Those you mentioned are all great fowl guns. I have a 20" barrel 870 rigged up for turkey and its perfect. Handy, light, quiet. Tons of accessory's cheap.
for fowl i shoot the new a5 now, my sbe2 was a lemon. It happens. My super nova is clunky for turkey, heavy to. win 1300 ive shot alot of turkeys with but its a 28" barrel and not camo. Extras are harder to find. the 835 kicks like a mule but throws the best pattern.

JMO, Good luck!
You beat me to it.I was gonna say the same thing.I have been usin a standard Moosberg 500 youth.Nice and compact.Heck,if legal a sawed off would be ideal.
.But seein all of these new turkey guns I admit has been makin me slobber.I have been tempted.I would have to have it dual purpose like Bootoxen said.But like Mauser I too love flinty,s and have thought about a smoothbore for some time and hopefully some day I,ll have a great story like his to share.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
best pattern of my guns that are rigged for turkey.

An SBE2 is $16-1700 new. Used $1k. You don't really need a semi. My 870 used was $150.
Heck, I didn't think it was worth it as a fowl gun (sbe) and I put many cases through it.
I'm not bashing for you Italian gun loyalists. LOL

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I'm partial to a pump because when you get up to go after the turkey after the shot, you're not running through the woods with a loaded weapon that's off-safe. You have to manually pump a new shell into it.

I love my 870 Super Mag. It will kill any turkey, it's not heavy, it's easy to hold on the gobbler for long periods, and it's not expensive compared to a semi-auto. You'll be happy with it, too.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
If I were looking for a new turkey gun I'd get a used 870 and go from there..stock of your preference.. Have the barrel cut to your choice...sights and choke...you can really do one up real nice for a fraction of the price...

And..I'd go with a 20ga and federal heavy weight or hand rolled TSS shot..

That's just me...if I were wanting another dedicated turkey gun...

I'd look for small, light and functional. Comfortable to carry and hold...and something that throws a nice dense pattern and has a sighting system that works for me...

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Sounds like you're committed to a semi.

Were it me, I'd hook up with a Winchester SX3 and never look back to see who's trying to catch up. Right at $900 for a 26" Black Shadow in 3 1/2"........ You'll have extra cash in your pocket for buying a choke tube, sight, sling and shells, too.......

You're more than welcome to try mine out someday if you like.........

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you're looking for a Turkey Gun only get yourself a 835 or 870,to buy one of those guns you mention would be ludicrous if you only use it for turkeys. The price of a gun will not make you a better shot, all guns kill, its up to the shooter to make the shot count when the time comes....

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your set on a semi. I wouldn't buy a "turkey edition" of any type. Because they are strictly for turkey. Buy a regular edition that comes with several chokes then you can buy an x full and use it for anything. Turkey editions usually have a shorter barrel as well. Personally I like the longer barrels. Before you make a final decision, check out the Remington versa max. I have a SBE2 and the versa max. The SBE is usually collecting dust. I like the versa max better, it doesn't kick near as much and it patterns better.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whichever I buy will be a multi use gun. Both fowl and turkey. There are some interesting suggestions. It's funny I was actually thinking about the benelli m2 in 20 gauge, then figured that I'd use it for duck/geese as well so I'd better go with the 12.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Bought a Franchi affinity compact in a 20 for my girls to hunt with. I have killed 2 with it. I have since sold my Browning auto gold 3.5" 12 gauge.
Will be getting me a new turkey gun for myself. I will probably never go back to a 3.5 12 gauge. With the loads and choke out there now there is no need for it. I'm a dedicated gun person though so it will small and compact turkey killer.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
then you have 3 good choices.
1st decide if you want inertia or gas system. SBE is inertia, other 2 gas. If you don't care then go shoulder and feel all 3. The SBE will be the lightest of the 3.

crushinweight said:
Whichever I buy will be a multi use gun. Both fowl and turkey.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have an SBEII and love it. I bought mine for waterfowl but I did use it this year for turkey. I don't think I would have bought it strictly for a turkey gun. JMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts