The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some thinking about a new caliber lately and as I look into my gun case I notice 3 .30-06's. The best canidate is a remington model 700. Been thinking of turning it into either a .338-06 or a .35 Whelen. lets hear your which you would go with and why.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i have a 35 whelen in 7600 pump great caliber, but iam a bigger fan of the 338s much better choice of bullets, sd is much better also, u can reload down from 160 grains and go up to 300 grains for the 338s just my thoughts good luck.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd do a 338-06AI, personally, as I like the choice of bullets and it seems like a great all around rifle, especially to compliment some of the other rifles I have.

A 35 Whelen seems like it would be more Pennsylvania appropriate, however.

If you don't reload, I would definitely go with the 35 Whelen.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That would be a simple decision for me. I would go with the 35 caliber. But I would go with it for different reasons than most. I would go with it because of cost of shooting it. I enjoy casting my own bullets. And the 35 caliber rounds are the perfect mix of velocity and diameter for cast bullets. I can load and shoot 700 or 800 rounds for less than $100. So that makes it an easy choice for me.

There is nothing wrong with a .338 caliber. But 35 caliber cast bullets are better(IMO). And I also believe there is a better choice of 35 caliber jacketed bullets. However mfrs. are bringing out more and more 338's all the time.

Buy yourself a good mold and start casting and shooting a 35 caliber rifle. You will be glad you did. Tom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts