The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
Flushed one off her nest today and saw two different strutters in open fields today that had hens with them. It's not over yet.

Can't believe how big their eggs are. She had at least 10 of them.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Its till on like donkey Kong. The next 2 weeks should be good, hunting pressure will die off and the birds should get back in to their routine. Not saying it will be as good as 2 weeks ago but there are still birds out there to be had.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ha!

I was within 60 yards of a Strutter for about 30 minutes just before the rain today. He rarely broke strut and only gobbled once in an hour. He had two jakes and two hens with him.
One hen finally boogered when she spotted me at 5 steps.
That Gob only had one thing on his mind.

If it weren't for the other birds I know I could have repositioned and killed him.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Same thing every year.

·
Registered
19,735 Posts
thinman said:
How many think we missed it again this year. I think the birds are done.
Gobblers are receptive to calls from Feb-June. You never know when you will run into the right one.

With that said, our season takes place on the downside of the breeding cycle. In most states it takes place on the upside or peak.

I don't mind hunting gobblers on the downside. But in this part of the state, visibility is very poor in many areas which really can limit where one can hunt. Hunters that hunt where there is little understory don't seem to understand the challenges in other areas.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We all can guess till we're blue in the face.. I watched two long beards with two hens in a field. Never heard a peep all day. Success rate goes up with having different areas to hunt!! Some areas they might be laying on nests but my guess is they are still laying eggs in my area. With that being said , I feel your pain brother!!'

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Not to be smart, i am glad to hear you guys aren't hearing Birds. I thought I forgot how to call. Went twice to an area that I know I hear Birds every year and heard nothing but tweety Birds. Sure hope something happens soon before I start questioning myself. This happened a few years back when it warmed up too quick. Driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
These threads are always funny. The PGC has stated before that the majority of the breeding of done before our season opens for a reason. Hopefully it's working. I've heard tons of gobbling so far and have seen lots of long beards. Being mobile and having lots of birds located are the keys to a good season.

·
Registered
259 Posts
It's never over until the last day of the season... I've killed em gobbling on the first day and I've killed em gobbling on the last day!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Bluemoonfox said:
xarcher said:
thinman said:
How many think we missed it again this year. I think the birds are done.
NOT. EVEN. CLOSE.
Shhhhh!!!!!
So in the 12 or so hunting days so far this season, I have been out maybe 8 days. Have seen 5 birds hit the dirt between me and friends. Heard gobbling each time out and had close but no cigar encounters 3 other times. Just watched a strutter follow 3 hens to roost about an hour ago. hardly what I would call done.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Everyday Hunter said:
Some hunters say this every year. Other hunters go kill gobblers.
quote]

Oh my if we missed it, I would hate to see it when they are ready... Someone should have told the gobblers we have killed that it was over.

In my opinion ( not that It would count) but it is just about to get good...

·
Registered
336 Posts
If we missed it, the birds did not get the email this morning. Heard multiple birds this morning. Put a 4 year old in the truck.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts