The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Think this might work to get permission in 2B?

4K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  good ole boy 
#1 ·
I posted this ad on Pennswoods (local classifieds) to see if maybe a farmer/landowner would let me hunt their land in exchange for my harvest or maybe a small fee. I live too far away and dont know the area well enough to knock on doors. How does my ad sound to you guys? Everyone wants something so I left it farily broad and am willing to negotiate with someone nice enough to consider letting me hunt for a Doe. I can edit the ad if you think there's anything I should add or remove. I know its a long-shot, but so is finding public land haha so I figured its worth a try.

Here's the ad:

I live/hunt in Mckean Co but am looking to expand my horizon into wmu 2B this late season. I will be strictly hunting for a Doe, as I have filled my buck tag. I abide by all regulations, and am very respecful and ethical, and will also abide by any and all landowner's requests without exception. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to a landowner if I can gain permission to hunt your land. I am also willing to donate the landowner my harvest! I will have it legally tagged ofcourse and am willing to give a whole deer to the landowner if you desire, I am also willing to purchase multiple tags to harvest as many as the landowner wants, or as few as 1 ofcourse too. I may have other interesting trade possibilities for a landowner as well. I would really just like a place to hunt for a Doe. A farm or something would be great, but anything will do it does not have to be a big area. I will abide by all landowner wishes, including what weapon I use, day I hunt, time I hunt, etc. If you own any land in 2B, and want to talk about this further, please contact me. You may Text or call me anytime at 814-366-7222. I also check my email a couple times a day so that is fine too. Thank you and have a great day!

See less See more
#7 ·
I think I would remove 2 parts.

1st- you don't really want to tell them that you are willing to shoot a deer but then give it away. sounds like you are saying "i'll kill deer just to kill something"

2nd- "I'll buy as many tags as you want" also tells them that you may just be out to kill things with no intent to use them.

As a landowner, those two items stick out to me as a HUGE negative. Just my opinion, nothing personal and surely not saying that you meant it the way i took it

#10 ·
I'm jumping on the bandwagon kyle, I understand by saying you'll donate the meat and kill as many as they want you're trying to get at deer control for crop damage on their property but it comes off as all you want to do is kill something.

Other than that, sounds great!

#14 ·
I think you need to look at the audience it will reach.

On a website of people interested in hunting, I wouldn't expect too many to bite. Especially in 2B with offering a deer as payment. Doubt they'd have a hard time getting a deer. Also, anyplace in 2B that I know has someone hunting there if the landowner is open to hunting. And if the landowner is trying to get rid of deer there are a lot of people hunting it.

Your better off to locate some properties on Google earth then identify the owner using the tax website and call, write, or knock on their door.

#13 ·
Papsattic said:
I agree with 4c Perhaps saying you "would share the harvest" with the landowner would be better.
Tagging along with my father prior to being of age to hunt, one of the first things that impressed upon me was his offering to share a deer with the landowner...after he harvested one. Some took it..and some didn't.

The first time I was with him and saw one harvested, he explained to me what he planned to do. I remember asking which half...the front, or back? I'll never forget the smile on his face. Hey! I didn't think about the possibiliy of cutting it another way! LOL.

#16 ·
Bearklr said:
Just curious why you want to shoot a doe just to give it away? Not judging, to each his own, just a little different.
Well, I can answer that for me at least. I killed a buck with a bow and a doe in rifle season. Also, my stepson got a buck in rifle season. We have plenty of meat in the freezer.

HOWEVER...I just like to hunt, so I'll be out with my muzzleloader!

#17 ·
As soon as you pay a fee to a landowner it makes them liable for anything that happens to you or anything you do while hunting on the land. If they simply let you hunt for no fee then they are protected by law. You're better off not offering money unless you bring your own insurance specifically covering this activity.

#20 ·
I'm just exploring all options and trying to compile ideas.

Gilby nailed it for me too. I have enough meat for my family to get through the year. However, I like to shoot deer. I wont apoligize for that or make it into something that it isn't. I dont "catch" them either, I shoot them and kill them. If a landowner doesnt want the harvest, I happily donate to the Hunters for The Hungry Program. Thats another reason I want to hunt 2B where deer are more plentiful. Also I like the late Doe season for Slug Gun and want to try it.

I also will glady sign a waiver protecting any landowner from liability. Although, I think its dumb. This country has gotten far too sue-happy. If a landowner blesses me with permission to be on HIS land, I consider that a sacred thing. I am in his domain and if something unfortunate happens to me, how is that his fault? Why would i blame him? I dont understand how people can do that stuff, and then wonder why landowners post their land.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

#21 ·
Pappy:

I greatly appreciate the info.

I did my research on that tract, and it sure is STEEP! It is in southern 2B I see, I checked and that tract is 4 hours and 12 minutes south of me. I was kinda hoping for something closer like in northern 2b, but if I dont find anything you can bet i'll be down there!

Just 1 question, gonna send a PM

#24 ·
TRIGGER said:
I personally would never drive over 4 hrs for a doe that I am going to donate away...just my 2 cents.....If you had a buck tag I may be willing to help you out..I let the does go...
Especially when New York would be so close and you could get another buck and a doe. Driving to 2B a few times will cost as much as a new york license. That and the driving distance between northern 2B and southern 2B is on a half hour or 45min tops.

#26 ·
As a landowner in SW PA, one stonethrow away from 2B border, I'm going to be 100% honest. If you want a chance to simply kill something, southwestern PA probably offers a better chance than anywhere in NC PA (2G) if you can get on property. That said, if you actually enjoy hunting in a truer sense of the word, you are in very close proximity to endless fun scouring beautiful land in pursuit of a whitetail. That, my friend, is hunting. We chaps down here really aren't "hunters" at all. Former farms have turned into developments, shopping plaza, or have been sliced enough to be considered mere "farmettes". We anticipate the fall season just as the rest do in any other region, and when the time comes to "pursue" our quarry, we hop on our ATV's, and ride across the field only to get off and walk the extra 50 feet to our "stand". We then sit and daydream of that BIG SW PA farm Buck to appear (which he never seems to make an appearance), amidst the endless barking of dogs, people screaming for their favorite kitty to feed, school buses rumbling up the "country" road, and endless pieces of machinery sounding that annoying backup beep. We also wonder what the hunting is like as we peer a mere 50 yards through the posted signs and across the "neighbors" field, and wish we could stretch out our legs a bit, and take a peek into their thicket, since we know that's where all the BIG BUCK are hiding. Eventually, just as staring at the same landscape day after day after day starts to get depressing, a small group of Doe trot on in. We turn a tad to the left or right in our favorite deerstand, and finally are able to take a Doe. WHAT A HUNT.

I've seen the beauty, and endless expanses of PA's northern tier. To me, that's where a true "hunter's" heart will be. The grass ain't always greener.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.