The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a seed nut just like a squirrel.
I have Milkweed, Pawpaw, chestnut, Osage orange, sweet gum, holly, cattail plus to many more to name in the beer refrigerator stratifying for the spring. Pick up your chestnut seeds at a grocery store - they sell them to eat for Christmas but you can grow them. Cheaper than the catalogs. All the others are free.

Any other seed nuts out there?

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I’m also big into seeds. I gather and sell a lot of wildflower seeds. Black and brown eyed Susan’s, Shasta daisies, white and purple coneflowers, catmint, bee balm, many different kinds of Columbine. I also gather portulacas, zinnias, hollyhock, marigold and various sunflowers.

I also like to grow sweet cherry, crabapple, and Chinese chestnut from seed. I use the crabapples or rootstock for grafting regular apple varieties.

I have some raised beds that my wife calls my Area 51. That’s where all my top secret and research gardening goes on.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty simple. You can remove seeds in the fall when the fruit gets mushy, wash them off, then store seeds in refrigerator till spring. Plant them in loose soil or in pot. They'll grow. You can also cut the fruit up and plant the chunks in the fall or winter. Trouble with this is the squirrels and mice find them and eat the seeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts