The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These warm spells got me thinking about morels and wondering if they'll be poppin' up early this year!? What do you all think?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I think I have a few bags left in the freezer that I need to start eating.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya gotta be kidding me.. lol those things don't last 2 days at my house when I find em'! lol wife twist my arm into flouring em' up and tossin' in a skillet of hot butter! lol

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
be more than happy to take some off your hand if you have a surplus!

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
We been out scouting for new and likely Morel spots since late Flint lock season closed....got tons of pictures and brought lots of natural air dried mushrooms home to ID.

As for early Morels, I've been searching for years for a March PA Morel, and the closest I ever came was April 4th...but with this weather and last years record rainfall..who knows?

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Just received a call from the head of the PA State Morel Control Board Director. They have cancelled Morel season in Washington County this year. They will study the numbers this year and see if next year will be viable for a season. Guess the Washingtonians have to hit Greene Co. this year.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
greene is part of MMU 3b. 1 lb per person. this MR program is a killer. dang gary alt.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Any chance you want to take me on a Mentored "not so Youth" hunt in your favorite Westmoreland County hotspots ?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I am not a big mushroom eater, but I have never collected fresh mushrooms like these before. My wife is a big mushroom fan and I would love to find some Morels for her. Do they grow in Adams county?

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Angus, I would venture that you should start looking under old fruit trees, especially apples.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GalThatFishes said:
Angus, I would venture that you should start looking under old fruit trees, especially apples.
x2 They just cut down one old overgrown orchard i've been trying to get permission on for a couple years to loook for morels. Never wanted to trespass onto it, but could never find the owner either...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It wouldn't suprise me at all if it's a bit early. I like to target dead Elm trees. Not the ones that are all the way gone, the ones with half there bark still hanging on. I find hundreds of them this way. I'm still sitting on a 1/2 dozen mason jars of dehydrated ones from last year. Can't wait to go hunting!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks Gal. I will do that. I still know a lot of the orchard owners or went to school with their kids. If I find a bunch i'll freeze a few bags for you.

Killin'time said:
GalThatFishes said:
x2 They just cut down one old overgrown orchard i've been trying to get permission on for a couple years to loook for morels. Never wanted to trespass onto it, but could never find the owner either...
Which orchard was it?

This mushroom thing is all new to me. Like I said, I am not a mushroom fan. I may become one though if I put effort into finding them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This one was out along interstate 81, just past the mall in franklin co.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
I think I have a few bags left in the freezer that I need to start eating.
THERE YOU GO, ALWAYS STIRRING THE POT.
. I've been checking out the mushroom clubs web sites. I'm looking to get out after them this year. Only looking at the ones that are clearly edible.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
What do you mean by "clearly edible" ? If you mean safe to eat, I can tell you that Morel's are probably the easiest mushroom to identify. Why ? because for one, you will only find them in a small window throughout the year, and that window is ALWAYS in the spring. Add to that, that they really do not have a lookalike. The False Morel's (Beefsteaks), in my eyes can't be considered a lookalike, they aren't even close. The smooth cap Verpa's have the threadlike stems (not hollow), again easy. If you aren't sure, go with a seasoned hunter until you are sure.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I always love reading these posts , but am not an experienced shroomer . Would love to tag along with someone in the know that can give a few tips on them as far as typical locations and variety identification .

·
Super Moderator
12,658 Posts
Finn:

As said just go out and look under old dead elms and older fruit trees. You will find them. Often they came up the same place every year. But you must keep your locations secret or you will have help the following year.

I stopped looking after 900 some last year. I had them every morning for breakfast for weeks....Looking forward for this year.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts