The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With turkey hunting behind me....Thinking toward putting out my trail cams. I have this one spot where I have placed a T cam for the last 3 years. Each year there has been at least one ten point on the cam; whereas, last year they were three 10's traveling together and they would pose for pictures every 7-10 days/nights.

The location of the cam is a difficult place to intercept one of them for a few reasons. They are usually traveling North to South. Unfortunately, the East side of the trail is very steep with a very difficult drag should the buck decide to run down hill after hit by a well place arrow. Plus it is only about 80 yards from posted property.

In addition that would mean I would have to set up on the west side at top of the ridge sending my scent over their trail with the most predominate winds, so I have never set up there. I have put cams on many trails around that location, but I am not able to find where they go from there are were they come from. There is a stream at the south bottom of the steep hill. I put a stand half way down the hill and hunted there last fall once.....There were scrapes in the areas, but none of the tens showed....Due to a rather sever fall by my wife at home breaking several ribs and puncturing a lung my season ended before the rut.....

There is a scrape about 80 yards from there where I took a long tine 11 point about 4 years ago. however, I have never got any pictures of the 10's there. I normally check all the stream crossings for tracks and have a T cam on a funnel trail at the steam...It is like they appear in the one location and disappear.

Someway I need to learn more about their travel patters.....perhaps a few mock scrapes and some licking branches in the area might help.

I will find them. if they are still there if I have to put T cams ever 20 yards apart on every trail.

An ideas......

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Just a thought try placing the trail cameras at a different spot nearby that would give you a better opportunity to pattern the deer and find a better intercept spot and more area to hunt without be concerned about the steep terrain and neighboring posted land.

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steep ledge runs for about a quarter of a mile+ I have not been able to catch them on a T cam to indicate any location where get to the edge with a few cams, but will work more with your thinking.

I have 14 T cams to work with.....I usually spread them out over 1,200 acres, but if I have nothing better on the cards I can surround the entire area....The old poke and hope method....

I have 3 stands I need to check, maintain and relocate. However; I am still down with the sciatic nerve pain that extremely limited my gobbler hunting. Going to a physical therapist now and hoping for a quick recovery.....

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Prayers for a speedy recovery and hope you find out the information you need to make your decision on stand placement and intercept location or locations. Good luck .

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I was mowing yesterday and a big buck was bedded in the field I was mowing. He jumped up and thirty yards from me and he will be a dandy this fall. Heavy main beams and well past his ears. My son saw this buck a couple days ago and hope he sticks around.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If I'm understanding your post correctly, you are only getting pics of these nice bucks once every 7 days in summer and then they dissapear in fall?

Few thoughts.. have you tested your trailcameras to see how well they are picking up motion? I think many cameras out there plain out stink after a few seasons and many people assume that they are working well. Sometimes lack of buck pics can be extremely misleading for various reasons.

Neighbors baiting with minerals or other food on their property could be why they only show on your property/cams every 7 days or so. For next 3 months, they just aren't moving far from their food and minerals, at all. Is there a water hole on the property?

In my experience, I'm amazed at how specific machure bucks travel thru their territories. They may have overall large territories in terms of square miles but so much of that land is never stepped on ...just specific trails thru it which give them the 'scent' advantage while traveling to their destinations. With 14 cams, I'm sure you'll locate these trails.

Good luck... Hopefully you'll have some pics to post soon!

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do get some pictures in Oct. some during the day. At that location they have all the advantages working for them and I I did get a kill shot on one on them at that location chances are great they would go away from the direction of the shot which would take them over the steep hill and a very ver difficult retrieval for a 74 year old senior who hunts alone. 10 years ago it would not be a factor.

There are neighbors who could very well be baiting, but I do not go on their property. I am not sure there they bed or feed and I have not yet found where they go to the stream. Cams work fine when the bucks do not show I often get pictures of doe, turkey and squirrels.

But guess that is why I have the cams...to broaden my search. I do not see any rubs in that area. The search goes on...I have good supply of batteries.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
With cameras, you only get a tiny piece of the puzzle. There are so many things that can be effecting you not getting pictures.
Summer pictures a cool but dont always provide you usable information as the season kicks off. Get those cameras up through the season and let them sit without checking them, or check them as little as possible. Trail camera scouting is an investment, most of the time works better over the long haul, not always but most of the time. If your getting pics of a specific buck consistently, try narrowing down the circumstances of him being there, is the wind consistent, same direction, weather patterns, temps, food, and so on... bucks often travel close to but not on the main deer trails, they could be passing your camera everyday but on the wrong side, this is what I meant by a tiny piece of the puzzle, lack of pictures doesn't necessarily mean they arent there, they just arent in front of the camera..
on setting up there, if you do decide to try and get after him, you need to think outside the box. He more than likely will run down hill if you get a fatal hit, but he could also run directly into the wind, if that's side hilling. If he does go down hill quarter him up and put him in game bags you could even drag those out one at a time and keep the meat clean! Wind is not the only factor that'll ruin the hunt, if he can see your entry, hes got you, if he can hear you setup hes got you, if you burn deer past him hes got you. Basing hunts on only a few pictures is tough without finding bedding or feeding areas they frequent.....
I'd be looking for more bucks in other spots, but that me..

·
Super Moderator
12,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thepennsylvanian: Thank you for your thoughts. You are right the bucks can be passing off cam. I have another funnel area where I have got some nice buck pictures in past years...set a cam there like always nothing much. I set a cam on a parallel trail 15 yard away and picked up the the buck travel. However, on the subject trail I see no parallel trails on the ridge. The cam is set within 20 yards of a logging trail which is covered with weeds that would show anything passing through, but nothing appears to be using the logging road which I avoid waking in.

I think I will try to do something with the scrape area I mentioned to bring them to that area as a mock scrape hang a vine or rope...Try to turn it in to a licking branch area. I use small cut pieces of mineral block during the summer in a effort to see what is in the area, but they can shift the normal travel patter of deer which will change when I remove the bait and I want to find their normal trail not the ones I am influencing them to visit.....The problem with the scrape area is lack of good trees to climb and needed to cross the scrape trail to get to a possible tree to climb.

During the rut it would be possible for the a buck to wind scent coming from the scrape toward my current cam trail and possibly draw a buck toward the scrape, so I am going to look into a tree set up down wind of the scrape.

I do have a good entry to get to a stand at the cam location it is a long walk, but nothing new to me.

I do set cams on a few other pinch points, but the best racks I am constantly seeing appear in the subject location....Of course many of the pinch points also are hard to set up on wind, steep, access good trees etc......

I will watch the weather conditions more closely as you mentioned....Thanks. I run my cams about every three weeks and often just before a rain is predicted.....

Anxious to start with the pictures to seen where they lead me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thinking about November...just looking at the calendar for my rutcation!.
Not sure if I should take the days I usually take or the later dates that are now available to us. Guys in the Midwest like it more towards thanksgiving! See as it gets closer!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I would go back through your pics in Oct and check the dates to see if they are using it the same dates or close to the same year after year you might be able to kill him there on those dates. I have been chasing the same buck for 5 yrs (this will be the 6th) and he traveled the same trail (area) in late season for the last 3 years. So last year I hung a stand the last day of rifle in the pouring rain just off of that trail to hunt him on those couple days. When I checked my cams the day before late season started I had found out he had shed his antlers 2 days after rifle season ended so no hunting him ! I thought I had him but it just goes to show you how lucky and smart they are some times. I hope I get a shot at him before he dies from old age !! Good Luck !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts