The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a slow start and finally breaking the ice on October 8th with my first deer with a crossbow, things have been picking up a bit. I shot another nice doe on the 12th and another last night.

October 12th doe:

Last night's doe:

·
Registered
19,564 Posts
Sweet! Congrats on those fine does. Been super slow for me but I know time in the stand will increase the odds.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Congrats Wexford!!! I guess you are figuring out the answers to your questions!!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am figuring out most of the answers to the stuff I questioned in the beginning. I'm getting very comfortable with the crossbow in the treestand. To DPMS's comment regarding time in the stand. As some of you may or may not know, I hunt in a management program and part of the drill that goes along with that is keeping a hunting logbook. I've spent 34.5 hours on stand and have seen a total of 32 deer (31 does and 1 buck.) As compared to last year, this year bucks have been conspicuous only by their absence. I'm not seeing any on my trailcam either. I'm a little worried that I'm shooting my "buck bait."

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honkers51 said:
Congrats brother...your freezer is full!
Not quite. Also a part of the drill with hunting in this program is that I have to donate the first deer and every third thereafter. I'm not complaining. I enjoy the hunting and am happy to support the local food bank.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I let a year and a half old 7 point walk by at about 10 yards this evening. Not quite the deer I had in mind. However, the first buck I'd seen since the first day of the early season in 2B. That's a long stretch between bucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts