The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last seven trips out I haven't see a deer. I have been hunting close to the house and small plots, but deer have always been in those locations and there were lots of tracks in the snow.

I have been trying to hunt where the drag out would be easy; however, I guess next week I will have to venture out a little more.......Running out of morning deer sausage. .....and running out of time.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Many years ago I went through 14 straight evening archery hunts without seeing as much as a tail. There were a decent amount of deer there too. It got extremely frustrating, it wasn’t a hunt anymore, it became a quest.

Took a couple nights off from the treestands, scouted around a little in the same general area. Found a spot that showed promise...killed a nice ten point on first hunt.

I think you found the answer on changing up locations.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I ended my 2020 season tonight by shooting a basket rack 8 with the flintlock. Funny I was all excited to hang a stand tomorrow where I passed on the 10 point yesterday and looking forward to bowhunting next week. I'm always trigger happy with the flintlock, but no regrets I had a great season and after three and a half months of hunting I'm going to sit in my recliner and watch football tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
It seems that after rifle season it's all or nothing. All the deer bunch up and travel together. They aren't spread out evenly, so you either see 5 or 6 together or you see nothing.
That's the way it always is in the areas I hunt.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I bounced 2 out yesterday with no chance for a shot and felt like I had won the lottery....IDK how you guys do this late season hunting ...it's very frustrating.....

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
A lot of my time hunting late season is still hunting and mostly I'm walking around scouting for next year. I found four area's that have potential for next year. I saw several bucks in late season and my had a chance at a really nice buck that I'm hoping will still be around next season. I think still hunting in late season does give you more chances to see deer, but I'm far more successful stand hunting. It's tough sitting in a tree stand or even on the ground for 4 or 5 hours in late season, but if you can find where deer are digging for acorns and stand hunt that area probably gives you the best chance to put one in the freezer.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hunt between 10 and 2. I have been going out with FL around 9 and doing midday hunts and seeing lots of deer. Saw 9 yesterday. One day I saw 19 on public land. They eat a lot of brush and dead grass this time of year too.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Hunting small residential area wood lot. A few cameras set up. The several big bucks have gone elsewhere since Christmas. Only does and spikes on cameras. Camera at stand shows does almost every day around 3-5 Or wee hrs of the night. Had 4 doe come by stand at 5:10 last night. Too dark for my xbow red dot All I need is an earlier visit. Only one way into woodlot and I tend to bump late afternoon does on my way in. They usually wind up circling back at dusk

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled all my cams, but two just before gun season.....3-5 has not been working for me, maybe try the 10-2. I have been doing some still hunting, finding trails, but no no new valuable info. yet.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I've been out the last two Saturday afternoons from about 2:45 till dark. I've seen 4 deer on each of those hunts. On 1/2 I had two close calls, but in each case the best shot was the one not taken. On 1/9 all 4 deer I saw were far away and I did some bleats but couldn't get them in. The late season is hit or miss for sure.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Saw somewhere between 15-20 bucks Saturday afternoon. Still got some does coming into heat so the action has been pretty good the past two weeks. Gonna be the first time in many years that I failed to fill my buck tag.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I'm planning to hunt Saturday for the last day, but it's going to take a miracle for me to actually get up when my alarm goes off. I just don't have the drive during late season. I had a very long archery season this year and didn't see a deer until my 21st hunt of the season, literally 100+ hours in the stand before I saw my first deer of the season. I've got a good spot, not a far walk and I could dress fully at my truck and get there without breaking a swat with my climber. I don't know, maybe I'll go out, maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Join the club passed on 3 PA type 8 pointers and got beat by a long tine 10 point......I was in a heavy cover cedar tree, his head was behind a tree upwind went I a turned my head for a small move to get my bow around a small twig. Some how he was alerted enough to turn and walk off from 12 yards not giving me a shot.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Saw somewhere between 15-20 bucks Saturday afternoon. Still got some does coming into heat so the action has been pretty good the past two weeks. Gonna be the first time in many years that I failed to fill my buck tag.
The eight point I shot Saturday smelled like he was still rutting and probably still some fawns coming into heat.

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good to know. I have started the site clearing with a contractor for my daughters home and 100' driveway ...It is taking up most of my hunting time. Not to mention 24 acres of my good turkey and archery area, but it will be good to have her here in PA and out of CA. I wish I could have retired at 50.....

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Good to know. I have started the site clearing with a contractor for my daughters home and 100' driveway ...It is taking up most of my hunting time. Not to mention 24 acres of my good turkey and archery area, but it will be good to have her here in PA and out of CA. I wish I could have retired at 50.....
I also have daughter and son in law in California (he's a Marine and they're in military housing in Camp Pendleton.) I agree 100% with your sentiment about having them in PA and out of the communist state of California.

·
Super Moderator
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make that nine trips now not seen a deer. You thank that is easy try going out on 9 hunts to places where your have taken several deer over the years and be able to continue to pick spots where no deer pass by.

This afternoon's stand was over well used trails and down wind of a mock scrape with a hanging vine which the deer are visiting leaving fresh tracks in the scrape area. The area is thick in the fall, but now I could see close to a 100 yard radius.

A 100 yard radius with no deer. Not a good day to hunting tomorrow......My wife's birthday.....So late week try again. I spent all evening in my tree stand trying to figure out yet another place to spent the day to avoiding seeing any deer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts