The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I've been out the last couple days trying to find some deer with hardly any sign whatsoever! We have snow up here past my knees and I'm not quiet sure where the deer are and what strategy I should use to try and locate them in the last 3 days of the season.I can only walk about 30 or 40 yards before I have to stop and take a break and catch my breath. Anyone else ever have to hunt in this deep of snow?

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I hunted the past two days in snow over the knees...The deer are laying down and not moving far from feed. All the deer I saw yesterday were covered in snow the beds were melted to the ground and the only thing sticking up were there heads. I never saw most of the deer till it was too late. Your best bet is to get up under the pines and walk slow looking for them.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Snow drifts are very deep in many places I have seen the last few weeks.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Snow-----where is all this white stuff----send me 2 feet tonight!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I was huntin up past St College yesterday and we had flurries all day, was beautiful, snot was anywhere from 3-12in. Seen 6 deer but all were way far away and running at mach 2

·
Banned
900 Posts
3 - 12" of SNOT.....
wow!! I get upset when it freezes in my mustache!!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Bunky said:
Snow-----where is all this white stuff----send me 2 feet tonight!!!
We can do that!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Use to hunt Allegheny National Forest when I lived in Pittburgh area. Several feet of snow is the norm up there. Strategy was almost always drives with drivers on snowshoes. We targeted hemlock groves because the deer would get up under them to get out of the deep snow. Branches generally kept the deep stuff to the outside of the trunk. One afternoon we jumped seven deer from under a single large hemlock.

GBJ

·
Registered
692 Posts
Although snowshoes seem like they spend more time hanging on the wall than anything, they are the answer in situations like this. The area around Blue Knob state park and SGL 026 is the same way.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Them buggers also hang in the hemlocks because the snow weighs branches down making the formerly out of reach stuff easy pickings. I shot a doe with my flinter yesterday in the pines.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I found in cold weather with snow, it was important to move and not expect some deer to just show up. Odds were you hardly could pick a spot, then sit, and see deer.

I found they congregated in isolated areas. Nothing better than conifer trees that gave deer some wind protection.

It helps to have legs and body in shape. I'd hike, look for protection areas, and follow tracks. Better to stalk in an area with a few deer tracks, than in an area with no tracks.

And for cleaning for these cold hunts, I'd spray some WD40, lightly, on the moving parts and the barrel. Nothing like dragging a deer in the snow, with a flintlock muzzleloader, that worked just fine.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
My dad tells a story about seeing an old guy ice fishing whose cigar had a frozen snot pillar holding it in place, the guy could talk and the cigar stayed in place. That would be cold, but at least you could fish hands free!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts