The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the dentist chair yesterday looking out the window and looked over to the ridge and there they were about 10 buzzards/vultures circling above it. I asked the dentist when she first saw them and she said today is the first. The birds use this point of the ridge year after year when they leave before winter and return for the summer.
Two years ago and before that I noticed they were always back around the middle or end of march. Last year they were back at the same time in Feb.

Last spring it was really "greened up" when the season opened and the gobblers seemed to be getting back together during the second week. Wonder if it will be the same this spring. I have also been seeing many flocks of starlings too.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
PAlimbhanger said:
Last spring it was really "greened up" when the season opened and the gobblers seemed to be getting back together during the secon week. Wonder if it will be the same this spring. I have also been seeing many flocks of starlings too.
I hope we don't have a repeat. Last year was almost over before it started. With each passing year our season begins later and later into the part of the season that we used to be able to hunt.

Visibility made some of my spots unhuntable the first week. Toms were grouped back together and largely uninterested by the second week and I saw poults the second weekend of the season.

At least in the sw and se parts of the states, these earlier and earlier springs are changing the hunting.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Wait till next year.
Spring Gobbler opening day, May 3rd, 2014!

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
Callmaker60 said:
I am seeing groundhogs, i think it's going to be another early spring.
That's what Phil said too

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Skunks are out of the dens too. That's been a reliable indicator for me that spring is nigh . I also dont care for a repeat of last sprg . Maybe its time we look at a two wks earlier opener seriously. Plenty of birds,ive no doubt they can handle the pressure. Just might have to forego the trout opener if that ever happens ....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Just saw buzzards over hear at work yesterday and thought the same thing. Buddy of mine texted me and said he saw a groundhog this week. We were talking of an early speing and He said the animals always no better than we do.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
All for a repeat of last Spring. I caught 130 smallmouth bass before April began, and killed 2 longbeards by the end of the second week of the Spring season. Guess it all depends on what part of the state you are in. Maybe time to consider 2 starting dates, one for Southern PA and one for the North?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
One of my dogs is older and NEEDS to go at about 6:30 AM.
This morning, on the hillside opposite my house, A Gobbler was going nuts! With the brand new snow, I wondered If I could find him in the binoculars. Took about 2 seconds, and he only had a half dozen hens, but he was herding them. I agree its an early one.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
I been hearing them in the morning while walking the dog for a week or so.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
huntRodG said:
2 starting dates is a terrible idea.
Why? The fall seasons are differing lengths based on units.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
bassnleo said:
All for a repeat of last Spring. I caught 130 smallmouth bass before April began, and killed 2 longbeards by the end of the second week of the Spring season. Guess it all depends on what part of the state you are in. Maybe time to consider 2 starting dates, one for Southern PA and one for the North?
Or even better, start the season in mid- April statewide.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
Uncle Nicky said:
Or even better, start the season in mid- April statewide.
Some states start their spring seasons when there is still a good chance of snow. When questioned, we will all be directed to our turkey management plan, though. I can tell you that what I read in the plan does not correlate to what I see in the woods as far as what turkey behaviors and cycles should be at certain times of the year. At least in the SW where spring comes way earlier than the central and northern tier. Not to mention the foliage which has been crazy thick over the past decade in these parts.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Here's to keeping things as they are. Can anyone say the populations is down? I don't think so. I would love to hunt them earlier but the current yearly start date has a consistent strong or growing population. I think the biologists have a good idea what they are doing. Sure they start gobbling early and breeding before our season but if they have a chance to start breeding before we start harassing them it can't hurt the population. And personally I've had plenty of success. Sometimes not, and some frustrating days, but overall, I'm content just the way it is.

·
Registered
691 Posts
DoubleGobble said:
Here's to keeping things as they are. Can anyone say the populations is down? I don't think so. I would love to hunt them earlier but the current yearly start date has a consistent strong or growing population. I think the biologists have a good idea what they are doing. Sure they start gobbling early and breeding before our season but if they have a chance to start breeding before we start harassing them it can't hurt the population. And personally I've had plenty of success. Sometimes not, and some frustrating days, but overall, I'm content just the way it is.
I agree, leave it the way it is. They don't have to be gobbling their heads off every day to kill one. That adds to the challenge of the hunt anyhow.

Another thing... those gobblers get quiet more from hunting pressure than anything else. So, an early opener is just going to make them quieter earlier!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I am all for a week earlier, maybe not two though. JMO I have definitely noticed a change in the last 3-4 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts